RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

newbie - help me decide ds212j or ds413j

bandanize

Hi - I need help deciding what to get - ds212j or ds413j.

We are a family of four with little kids - main use is for storing our data in one place and stream our pics/home movies etc. I have apple extreme MC340LL/A which has 3 gigabit (?) ports.

I currently have two 1 TB hard drives sitting in my desktop which I don't know what ot do with.

I have also ordered two western digital RED 2TB hard drives.

The amount of data we currently have is abotu 1 TB.

My thought process was that for now put 2TB hard drives in ds212j  with SHR setting (hybrid raid)

Or is it worth right now to go with ds413j ?

Thanks guys

All things being equal, I would say to get the 4 bay unit. This is based largely on the fact that most people underestimate their actual requirements and end up wishing they'd gotten the next level up.

All personal preference of what you'll be happy with at what price. I'd of spent more on larger NAS drives instead of paying a lot more for extra bays and putting smaller drives in them. But if you want to use all 4 drives you are going to have I think the choice might be made already.

What has been your growth rate in data storage?  Did you go from 500Gig to 1Tb in a year or in 3 years?  Use that to also judge your comfort level in either adding drives to the 4 bay or replacing drives.  I think you would be fine with the two bay but nobody would blame you for getting the 4.  Perhaps the "accounting department" in your household might.

I always recommend an external drive of the size of your most important data.  Photos, videos.  The 1TB may handle that.  Attach it to your Synology and you can setup a nightly backup.  Get you some cloud and then your set!