RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vhymetoo

M1015 in IT mode causing panics/hangs/reboots vm?

microsvr.de

Which ESXi version are we talking about, actually? I never even manage to get the pci passthrough with an flashed m1015 to work in the first hand using ESXi 5.5.

Whenever I try to turn the VM on, it reports

"Das Gerät pciPassthru0 konnte aufgrund von nicht vorhandener Hardware-/Software-Unterstützung für 5:0.0 nicht registriert werden"

rough translation:

The device pciPassthru0 could not be registered due to an non-existant Hardware-/Software support for 5:0:0" (which seems to be a PCI address or something, I am new to passthrough...). I edited the VM's vmx to "pciPassthru0.msiEnabled = "FALSE"" to no avail.

vhymetoo

Which ESXi version are we talking about, actually? I never even manage to get the pci passthrough with an flashed m1015 to work in the first hand using ESXi 5.5.

Whenever I try to turn the VM on, it reports

"Das Gerät pciPassthru0 konnte aufgrund von nicht vorhandener Hardware-/Software-Unterstützung für 5:0.0 nicht registriert werden"

rough translation:

The device pciPassthru0 could not be registered due to an non-existant Hardware-/Software support for 5:0:0" (which seems to be a PCI address or something, I am new to passthrough...). I edited the VM's vmx to "pciPassthru0.msiEnabled = "FALSE"" to no avail.

Correct - ESXi 5.5 never seemed to work for passthrough on the HP MicroServer Gen8 - would get the same error. For passthrough ESXi 5.1 seems to be the last working version...

-v

PAC_

The consensus so far seems to be:

- SATA AHCI + LSI SAS VT-d passthrough is functional

- B120i in RAID mode + LSI SAS VT-d passthrough is problematic

Unfortunately SATA AHCI causes iLO4 to raise the fan speed and noise level. 

Have there been any developments in regards to MicroServer Gen8 VT-d stability ? What about VMware ESXI 5.5 VT-d support ?

LoneWolf

The Microserver Gen8 doesn't come with out-of-box VT-d support because its two default processors (the Celeron 1610T and the Pentium G2020) don't support VT-d.

If you add a processor that supports VT-d, this should resolve that.  There are several Socket 1155 Xeon E3 and E3 v2 processors that will work well for this task (see the Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ pinned in the forum for more information).

I continue to be a little curious why the IBM M1015 is such a popular choice, when the HP SmartArray P212 and P410 can be found in the same price range, and feature caching and out-of-box RAID-5 support as long as a cache module of any size is installed.  I suppose its personal preference and there's nothing physically wrong with the M1015, but I myself would prefer a cache to improve performance.  A second route (while more costly) is to go with a SmartArray P222 or P420, and then you'll even get support through the HP iLO and its onboard Intelligent Provisioning features, which make management of your arrays easier and more convenient.

PAC_

LSI SAS HBAs are a popular choice for ZFS because of their ability to present disks in a JBOD fashion when flashed with the IT firmware. The IBM M1015 in particular can be had for about half the price of a retail model and can easily be cross flashed.

Yes I am aware that the included Celeron processors do not include VT-d support. The Xeon E3 hack is great but these latest developments about system instability and data corruption are worrying. An official support ticket could probably be opened for the HP ML310e Gen8 instead.

I'll be playing it safe and keep using FreeNAS bare-metal until somebody posts positive results. I will be lowering noise levels by configuring a 2.5" single-disk RAID-0 array on the HP B120i but this means I would have to use a SAS HBA if I ever wanted to use ESXi.

LoneWolf

Yes I am aware that the included Celeron processors do not include VT-d support. The Xeon E3 hack is great but these latest developments about system instability and data corruption are worrying. An official support ticket could probably be opened for the HP ML310e Gen8 instead.

I'm unsure of what you mean by "hack".  Replacing a processor, IMO, is not, per se, a "hack"; the server also has BIOS support for them.  At this time, I've had no instability or data corruption with mine, but I'm not sure whether you're talking about that from the drives perspective, or whether you're saying that people who have added Xeon E3 processors have experienced instability and data corruption.

PAC_

I'm unsure of what you mean by "hack".  Replacing a processor, IMO, is not, per se, a "hack"; the server also has BIOS support for them.  At this time, I've had no instability or data corruption with mine, but I'm not sure whether you're talking about that from the drives perspective, or whether you're saying that people who have added Xeon E3 processors have experienced instability and data corruption.

The BIOS does support Xeon E3 processors but they are not officially supported by HP, hence the therm hack ;)

As for system stability issues, as per the OP there seems to be a specific conflict when configuring the B120i in RAID mode and passing an LSI SAS HBA using VT-d.