RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vhymetoo

M1015 in IT mode causing panics/hangs/reboots vm?

vhymetoo

fair enough. computers do funny things sometimes.

ikon

LOL, yes they do. To be fair, people don't really have a right to expect computers to be perfect. There are so many variables in, and influences on, computers that it's virtually impossible for them to be perfect.

One example: years ago Sun MicroSystems set up a test bed where they eventually established that some data on hard drives is actually damaged by Mesons from outer space! It sounds ridiculous, but apparently it's true. Imagine what a glitch in the power grid could do?! :o 

The issues with Copy & XCopy were so well known inside Microsoft that it lead one developer to create RoboCopy...

vhymetoo

Can anyone check to see if they are seeing the same issue with other HBA's? Something like the newer LSI 9207-4i4e would be the excellent canidate for this box in passthrough capacity....

This seems to be a pretty massive issue for the HP server....

Calle

I haven't investigated further on this since the dreaded fan issue keeps me from powering on the machine. But I noticed that people sometimes needs to tweak the MSI settings when using passthrough which could be something to look into.

schoondoggy

I have run a 9240-8i, P410, P212 and 9220-8i, all with Server 2012e with no performance issues.

I should have a little time next week to play with ESXi to see if I have the same issues.

sp3c

Ugh... I've been messing around for days now with my M1015 on passthrough with the same issue, and it does turn out to be related to the B120i.

My hardware is a ProLiant ML310e Gen8, similar to the Gen8 MicroServer in its components. I had never run the B120i in RAID mode, always in SATA AHCI mode and passed through to a VM. Additionally, I've got the M1015 flashed with IT firmware passed through to another VM. No issues with that setup at all.

Recently though I switched the B120i to RAID mode and wanted to pass that through, and that's where the issues started. Attempting to even install the drivers for the B120i in the Windows guest resulted in a lockup of the guest OS. The other VM with the M1015 passed through (running OpenIndiana) experienced hung I/O, missing or faulted drives, OS crashes, etc.
Even when not using the B120i as a pass-through device, the M1015 is unusable. Just having it switched to RAID mode seems to be causing the issues, which is particularly annoying because I'd like to use a RAID-1 array for the ESXi datastore. I'll probably end up having to either use the B120i with only its 6 SATA ports for the storage VM and the M1015 with RAID firmware for ESXi, or get another controller card to serve as a mirror array for ESXi. :/

Have you tried running the B120i just in SATA AHCI mode, instead of RAID? That setup works fine for me on the ML310e, so it might work on the MicroServer also, and you'd still be able to pass-through the M1015 to a VM.

vhymetoo

Moderators: Can you please change the thread title to "B120i in RAID mode causing passthrough cards to panic/hang/reboot and IO errors on VM?"? I think that better reflects the the issue with the latest word from sp3c.

Thanks for the detailed post and good info!! This should be helpful even if not perfect.

Ugh... I've been messing around for days now with my M1015 on passthrough with the same issue, and it does turn out to be related to the B120i.

My hardware is a ProLiant ML310e Gen8, similar to the Gen8 MicroServer in its components. I had never run the B120i in RAID mode, always in SATA AHCI mode and passed through to a VM. Additionally, I've got the M1015 flashed with IT firmware passed through to another VM. No issues with that setup at all.

Recently though I switched the B120i to RAID mode and wanted to pass that through, and that's where the issues started. Attempting to even install the drivers for the B120i in the Windows guest resulted in a lockup of the guest OS. The other VM with the M1015 passed through (running OpenIndiana) experienced hung I/O, missing or faulted drives, OS crashes, etc.
Even when not using the B120i as a pass-through device, the M1015 is unusable. Just having it switched to RAID mode seems to be causing the issues, which is particularly annoying because I'd like to use a RAID-1 array for the ESXi datastore. I'll probably end up having to either use the B120i with only its 6 SATA ports for the storage VM and the M1015 with RAID firmware for ESXi, or get another controller card to serve as a mirror array for ESXi. :/

Its appears what you are saying is B120i in RAID mode messes with the passthrough.

B120i in any mode OTHER THAN the RAID brings up the stupid noise issue (however noise is relative term so this is less worse)

Have you tried running the B120i just in SATA AHCI mode, instead of RAID? That setup works fine for me on the ML310e, so it might work on the MicroServer also, and you'd still be able to pass-through the M1015 to a VM.

^^ THIS IS Good NEWS! I have not tested this yet but I imagine it would work on the HP Gen8 MicroServer as well.

Why this is great news is because this means having a passthrough card WORKS. Specifically the scenario that I feel is useful for this would be having a LSI 9207 4i4e card which would be passthrough to a NAS VM with the Front 4 bays plugged into the LSI card and the onboard would run as SATA AHCI holding ESXi datastore. This would would allow a clear upgrade path with an external drive enclosure (plugged into the external SFF-8088 port of the LSI card that is passthrough to the VM.

-v

Edited by vhymetoo

schoondoggy

Have you tried using the B120i for passthrough? 

vhymetoo

Have you tried using the B120i for passthrough? 

Yes, I use it in SATA ACHI and pass it through very successfully which exposes the controller as Intel Cougar Point 6 port SATA controller. I dont try with B120i in RAID mode but I believe it SHOULD work (however with the how tied in the B120i is to the iLO i wonder if setting it to RAID mode would cause some issues or failure in passthrough)

Edited by vhymetoo

schoondoggy

People are using the B120i in pass-through mainly to reduce the fan noise.

To use the B120i as pass-through you need to configure each drive as a single drive RAID 0.