RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vhymetoo

M1015 in IT mode causing panics/hangs/reboots vm?

vhymetoo

Testing a new hp Gen 8 microsurgery with esxi passing the m1015 controller through to vm. E3-1230 v2 cpu. Using OMV nas of to test (version 0.5 and previous version 0.4)

Getting massive issues when attempting to transfer data from one know good hdds to others. About 1-3 minutes in ext4 errors popping up, then walls of text about segment faults, irq some or other and will even hard lock and reboot the vm. Then on next boot that drive has a ton of fsck errors to repair.

Been a long long month, and even longer day. I'm running memtest on box now but new hardware, so far no issues reported the ram.

Anyone running m1015 in pass through and seeing similar issues? Just got the m1015 in and flashed it into IT mode and getting too much issues.

Next test will be stick m1015 in different stable nas and test cable and drive Bay of gen8 server.

Thoughts suggestions? Need sleep

Calle

I did some tests yesterday with a M1015 in IT-mode in OmniOS and Ubuntu Server and very similar results. Seems to work fine in passthrough in a virtual MS 2012 Server though.

Haven't had the time to dig deeper but I can confirm the issues.

EDIT: Scratch that, just had a BSOD :angry:

Edited by Calle

vhymetoo

Interesting. Can anyone else confirm?

-v

vhymetoo

After spending a good chunk of time of this it doesnt seem that anyone successfully is running the M1015-IT mode (P16 Firmware) as passthrough on HP Gen8 MicroServer. Causes freak outs it seems.

You can get disks to show, but once you start transfers about a couple minutes in bunch of errors stupid errors. As my luck would have it terrible time for another project.... Will seek out path of least resistance..... (possibly flip the B120i to passthrough and M1015 for datastores - this seems to be some stupid BIOS or driver issue, perhaps that setup will resolve my issues at the cost of increased fan noise).

-v

vhymetoo

Reversed the adapters. Now the M1015 is serving ESXi directly (datastore device HBA) and the onboard HP B120i is in SATA AHCI mode (gets recognized as Intel Cougar Point 6 port SATA ACHI controller)  put into passthrough to a NAS virtual machine. A simple rysnc between two scratch disks has been kicked off and if it successfully blows through several hundred GB then this should ideally be mostly a wrap.

EDIT: it will be interesting to see if the 4tb disks will be recognized in SATA ACHI mode

EDIT 2: Ok several hundred GBs seems to have successfully made its way through without massive disk errors.

EDIT 3: 4TB disks appear to be recognized on the Intel controller.

Plopping disks in and wrapping this.

-v

Edited by vhymetoo

Calle

What's the fan status when you have the B120i as AHCI and passthrough?

vhymetoo

What's the fan status when you have the B120i as AHCI and passthrough?

More reasonable than expected. iLO is currently reporting 39% with all 4 drive bays loaded and unit closed up.

Looks like a wrap on this project for now. Successfully got passthrough working abliet with slight non critical compromises.

-v

ikon

Have you run any binary file comparisons on at least some of the files, to ensure they've truly been copied accurately?

vhymetoo

Have you run any binary file comparisons on at least some of the files, to ensure they've truly been copied accurately?

odd question... No not overally. Most of the data is primarily scratch for work and testing. What little data I have been checking has been coming up good and I have no reason to mistrust anymore the hardware.

ikon

I don't think it's an odd question at all. One of the things all developers of file copying software do is test that their software is doing the job correctly, but sometimes they screw up. There have been many examples of situations where it was found that the copied files contained errors (i.e. they were not exact copies). In fact, the DOS/Windows utilities Copy and XCopy are well known for not doing a good job of copying very large files or batches of very many files.