RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can RAID drives spin down on an HP Smart Array

psikey

Now I have my G8 Microserver working nicely with the HP P222/512 RAID card is it possible for the RAID drives to spin-down when not in use by Windows?

The Win8Pro OS is on the  120GB SSD on the B120i controller, with the P222 handling 4x3TB WD RED drives in RAID5. Is there a way to get Windows to spindown the drives/array after no activity? Would be nice to save a bit more energy as the data on the RAID5 array is only accessed when people are using Plex/Twonky media servers. 

I'm afraid that spin down isn't possible when you use a hardware raidcontroller (some does support this but as far as I know the HP controllers doesn't). But this is for a good reason, imagine that you have to spin up 4 drives when something is accessed. This will cause a long delay and this can cause the OS to believe that something is wrong which generates errors and timeouts.

Since you're using harddrives that are designed for 24/7 they will probably last longer as well. Spin down and spin up will cause much more wear on the motoring than just keeping the motor going.

The downside is the increased heat and power consumption.

I'm afraid that spin down isn't possible when you use a hardware raidcontroller (some does support this but as far as I know the HP controllers doesn't). But this is for a good reason, imagine that you have to spin up 4 drives when something is accessed. This will cause a long delay and this can cause the OS to believe that something is wrong which generates errors and timeouts.

Since you're using harddrives that are designed for 24/7 they will probably last longer as well. Spin down and spin up will cause much more wear on the motoring than just keeping the motor going.

The downside is the increased heat and power consumption.

I know most won't and pro's/con's of spin-down but worth asking. I've just checked out your thread, think I have same Kingston RAM as you and I will be fitting a Xeon E3-1265LV2 45W when it arrives (possibly this week) so thanks for the photos.

Ultimately I'm likely to put ESXi on this hence beefing up the spec now.

Yeah, I think there's more illusion than reality to saving money by powering down drives.

You mean by possibly having higher disk replacement cost? I did the numbers when I was using the QNAP TS-469 Pro and 3 years of savings with my on/off times would buy a new 3TB drive.

The QNAP is a nice little box (should be considering it costs as much as a G8 Microserver and P222 card together!) but not enough CPU power for transcoding 1080p Plex streams plus being a Linux novice I struggle if I need to go beyond the basic interface.

I think that's a pretty hard thing to calculate. To really be accurate would require a real time logging meter on the system 24/7 to find how much the power is actually going down, and when.

I recall at work being tasked with implementing a program to shut down all PCs in the company after 8pm every night (there were, of course, a few that had to be excluded, but it only amounted to around 10). Management was surprised by that it didn't make the kind of difference to the power bill they thought it would. Part of that was because they failed to take into account the fact that power rates go down at night.

Its on a totalising power meter measuring constantly, shows instantaneous watts plus a log of kWH, plus fixed rate day or night for me in UK.

Having server on 16hrs (totally off 8 hrs) and going to hard drive standby after 20 minutes of no use worked out at a saving of ~£120 over 3 years with the QNAP used for streaming media a maximum of 3 hours a few days per week plus some downloading.

£40/yr isn't bad. It's not huge though. I tend to worry more about the items that can save hundreds/yr, like gasoline, air conditioning, dryer.