RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP N54L + IP Camera = ?

pandemonium

So, here I am again... this time with a new challenge for myself, now that I've got the NAS working almost (well... ish!) as I want it to.

I'm going to buy an IP camera (possibly the Foscam FI8921). The question worth asking whilst it gets to me is - has anyone actually got this working? i.e. capture video from an IP camera to their HP NAS's?

From what my limited understanding is - IP Cameras will happily write to FTP servers. And as long as I can get the N54L setup as a FTP server, I should be able to record from the IP Camera to it... Am I right?

As I stated here, you may have an issue trying to use an FTP server. I would dig deeper to ensure things will work as you expect or you may be very disappointed.

• Like 1

If it is so, forgive my bad English, although I have not received the server, going to start running two Foscam cameras for shooting on the move and send server for real-time image DynDns in a while I'll post a tutorial.

It can be done with Windows Server or Linux.

If your using Unix on your server then take a look at Zoneminder as this product will monitor a real time feel from the camera and record video based on alerts.

I've been using it with a Foscam IP camera for several years and it really is very good

Si

• Like 2

If your using Unix on your server then take a look at Zoneminder as this product will monitor a real time feel from the camera and record video based on alerts.

I've been using it with a Foscam IP camera for several years and it really is very good

Si

Exactly. I don't think it's really possible to use FTP to record video. You could use it to record a series of still shots that could be used to create a time lapse, but that's not the same thing as full blown video -- for one thing, the still shots are individual files, not frames in a single file.

There are a ton of programs available that will monitor cameras and record the video stream.

• Like 1

Sorry my error. The output from zoneminder is actually photos but it is presented as a video.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Exactly. I don't think it's really possible to use FTP to record video. You could use it to record a series of still shots that could be used to create a time lapse, but that's not the same thing as full blown video -- for one thing, the still shots are individual files, not frames in a single file.

There are a ton of programs available that will monitor cameras and record the video stream.

Why it's impossible use FTP to record video? As I know the most IP Camera's record videos can be send to FTP automatically.

So, here I am again... this time with a new challenge for myself, now that I've got the NAS working almost (well... ish!) as I want it to.

I'm going to buy an IP camera (possibly the Foscam FI8921). The question worth asking whilst it gets to me is - has anyone actually got this working? i.e. capture video from an IP camera to their HP NAS's?

From what my limited understanding is - IP Cameras will happily write to FTP servers. And as long as I can get the N54L setup as a FTP server, I should be able to record from the IP Camera to it... Am I right?

Actaully it is quite possible to record video to an FTP but as ikon said, it can be painful to setup.  I have do it with mine several times.  You will have to setup FTP on your server first, then play around with the careras till you get the syntax exactly right.  No as easy as it should be but it does work.

• Like 1

I don't have the budget for ipcams right now so over the last week or two I have had a side project going of setting up different webcams I had around for remote viewing & to store directly to a n40L.  Zoneminder is a great option but I wanted to mess around with something different so I installed Motion.  Its running on Debian and I had it setup and recording when triggered by motion detection VERY quickly.  The .conf files are very well commented and practically spell out what options to put in so anyone can set it up but it does have a LOT of great features.  

There is great support for IP cams as well built in and when I can afford them I will probably try out Motion for them as well.  I know some Foscam devices are supported and sending to FTP. (from the motion.conf;# "URL to use if you are using a network camera, size will be autodetected (incl http:// ftp:// or file:///"

• Like 1

Actaully it is quite possible to record video to an FTP but as ikon said, it can be painful to setup.  I have do it with mine several times.  You will have to setup FTP on your server first, then play around with the careras till you get the syntax exactly right.  No as easy as it should be but it does work.

Sorry my error. The output from zoneminder is actually photos but it is presented as a video.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Why it's impossible use FTP to record video? As I know the most IP Camera's record videos can be send to FTP automatically.

This is interesting. If it truly is now possible to record true video to FTP servers then it's a development that wasn't available to me last time I set up a surveillance system. IP cameras were just coming on the market at that time. When I tried to record the IP stream to an FTP server I got a whole whack of Motion JPEG files. That was really annoying. It did have the advantage that you could open a single file to help identify someone or something, but I had to use a special app to try to view the files as a video. For me, video is contained in a single file.

I think I would still prefer to use an app dedicated to recording IP camera video and avoid the hassle of setting up FTP.

Question: why not record the video to a shared folder on a server?

Please keep the discussion going. My wife & I are looking at travelling more and a surveillance system is something in which I'm very interested.