RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

"Unauthenticated" after restoring from 2012e client backup?

nlitend1

I recently swapped out my SSD for a larger one. I used the client restore feature of 2012e to do so. The network is "unauthenticated" now. I have tried multiple restore points and they all seem to leave me with this issue.

After a few days of use after a previous restore attempt (last week) i could still log into my domain account, but none of my programs (even RDP) would show up under the start menu etc. I have a feeling there is a "timeout" period for this "unauthenticated" status and then it takes away privileges for the domain account.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by nlitend1

It sounds like the kerberos authentication for the machine account on the domain has gone busted. Although your restored machine may seem like it is identical to the old, the domain controller doesn't consider it to be so. Sometimes happens when you clone a domain-joined machine - actually I lie, it happens quite a lot!

The best thing would be to knock it off of the domain entirely, reboot and then re-add it. This generally sorts it out but sometimes you need to get your hands slightly dirty and make sure that the machine accounts have properly been deleted from AD and that (just for good measure) any references to it have been taken out of the DNS and DHCP records.

Make sure you have a known local admin account on the PC first - nothing more annoying that taking a machine off of a domain, rebooting and then remembering that you don't know the local admin details.

John

LOL, yeah, there's nothing like realising you've painted yourself into a virtual corner ;)

Issues like this are unfortunate consequences of MS having to tighten up security. To help prevent rogue computers being attached to a Domain, MS has added more and more capability for the Domain to detect computers that don't match the ones it knows about and to deny them access.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stive951

My OS drives are a pair of old 80G in RAID1, Data a pair of 3T drives in same config, added after initial installation. Anyone have any experience on status/viability of data on "data drives" when added after re-install/upgrade to R2?  Completely lost?, needing "owner" change?

• 3 weeks later...

^^ SPAM

My OS drives are a pair of old 80G in RAID1, Data a pair of 3T drives in same config, added after initial installation. Anyone have any experience on status/viability of data on "data drives" when added after re-install/upgrade to R2?  Completely lost?, needing "owner" change?

Were the client a domain member?  If so, you need to reset the computer account and rejoin the client to the domain,.