RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2012 Essentials R2 on a Gen8 keeps crashing

Rensul

Has anyone experienced a "Kernel-Power" error after installing 2012 Essentials R2 onto a Gen8 server?  It causes the server to reboot randomly - I could go an hour or so and it would then give the error and reboot.  I installed the regular 2012 Essentials and it works fine.

I was thinking it might be a driver issue since there isn't an install profile as part of the Intelligent Provisioning process (just the standard 2012 Essentials option)...

Thanks in advance.

I seriously wouldn't try running R2 at this point. It has caused any number of issues on all kinds of platforms and just doesn't seem ready yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this issue, and traced it back to the drivers for the onboard SATA controller.  Until I see a validated drivers from HP for 2012 R2, I won't try to install it again.

I gave it another shot but this time I turned off the RAID controller via the BIOS and selected AHCP SATA instead (not Legacy - though I'm not sure if this would have been the correct option...)  I just did a bare metal OS install (bypassing ILO install wizard-driven process) via USB - so far so good no crashes after about 12 hours...