RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Office 365 with WS2012E

Jason

Has anyone here used O365 in a home env integrated with their WS2012E? With Mac and PCs at home and several years of PST files accumulated, I've considered a P-plan to migrate my data to the cloud for online access when needed. As I often need to search through years of msgs remotely. So far I've used the Office Maven's app the requires be to install a local copy of Office Pro onto my E12 box which I'm not thrilled about.

Am intrigued by server E12's O365 integration and would be interested in others' experiences. Thanks!

With my MSDN account, I get 1 Ofiice365 subscription. I'm testing it with SBS2011 Essentials, Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I also have The Office Maven's WHS2011Office addin on SBS2011E and WSE2012R2 Office addin on Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

All works great. I'm running my PC's on 60gig SSD's so I prefer to have the full Office 2013 Premium on the server to save space and give me the benefits of the addins.

There's some nice Server 2012R2 E integration with Office365. If you add Office365 to your mobile device, then it will appear in the Dashboard under Devices/Mobile Devices. You can then wipe the device if you choose.

Thanks diehard. It does sound like the Office

Maven app is still viable in a home env. I currently have Office 2007 Pro installed on my WS2012E server locally since my primary need is for access to my legacy PSTs created in Outlook 2007. Though I may go ahead and upgrade the server to office 2013 as well as those PSTs since I already have them backed up to the cloud (use DrivePop and CrashPlan). Office 365 sounded like a cool concept though it's likely overkill for my needs but would've been a fun experiment.

The Office Maven's Office addin's are great. He's always updating with fixes and tweaks, I got an update today. Great support.

Mike Craven even has his addins working on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. The only developer I know that certified his addins for the Preview build, that's quick.

Yeah, there's things to consider with Office 2013. Do you buy a full package for $$$ or do you get a Office365 account which allows you to install Office 2013 on multiple (5)? devices.

With Office365 I'm testing out the Lync and SharePoint stuff. nice.

Hi Jason,

Just as an FYI... Windows Server 2012 Essentials includes Office 365 integration, but it doesn't include an email front end. Therefore, your users would still need to have an email client (such as Microsoft Outlook, etc.) in order to access their email. The Office 365 service does include Outlook Web Access (OWA), which would allow your users to access their email from a web browser. However, while OWA is quite functional, it doesn't offer the complete feature set of a full-featured email client like Microsoft Outlook. Office 365 is simply a hosted Exchange service that allows you to store your email in the cloud, and then access it from any device using either OWA or an email client that supports Exchange ActiveSync (EAS). The Office 365 integration that is included with WS2012e simply allows the server admin to manage certain aspects of their Office 365 account from within the server Dashboard application (which isn't accessible to standard users).

As diehard mentioned (thanks diehard!), my WSE2012e add-ins (i.e. WSE RemoteApp 2012, WSE Office 2012, and WSE Outlook 2012) work great with Outlook and Office 365. They allow you to install a single copy of Outlook (or, in the case of WSE RemoteApp, any email client of your choosing) directly on your server, and provide individual access to it for each of your users. From an administrative perspective, it's far easier to manage a single instance of an email client installed only on the server, as opposed to managing multiple email clients that are installed across all of your user's different devices (desktop PCs, laptops, etc.).

I hope that helps some.

- Mike (The Office Maven)

Edited by TheOfficeMaven

• 9 months later...

Am back at this. I store a historic set of outlook PST files on my WSE box in my /users folder. Each file represents a year 2003.pst, etc. Of my work email history.

Frequently I need access to an old email for business reasons. My only options are to:

1.) open the PST file from the local network and find the message or

2.) install MS Office on WSE box and use the Office Maven's server add-in.

However it's my understanding running email on a server poses a security risk. Am looking for any recommendations.

Thanks!

Store the pst files on the server and point client to those files. Never, repeat never, fun an email application from a server.

Jmwillis, when the client is remote and you establish a VPN connection to the WSE server and OPEN a PST, will it not try to download the entire remote PST in order to open it? Or can it access the file remotely over the tunnel? I ask because these files are approx 1 GB each and sometimes I'm doing over a hotel wifi connection or LTE hotspot.