RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PCEddie

What pfsense Packages do you use?

PCEddie

I have rekindled my interest delving deeper in my pfsense router and started looking at the different packages I can install on my pfsense router. Thanks to the Average Guy podcast that discussed the pfsense router, I decided to try my hand at setting up a pfsense router. After 3 failed attempts (in this case 4th time is the charm), I was able to get my pfsense router setup the way I wanted. Now I am starting to take the next step with my pfsense router and start installing packages. 

This lead to my curiosity as to how many others in the community are using pfsense routers, what is their setup, and what packages are being used.

For me, I decided to repurpose a Dell Optiplex 745. This is a Intel dual core 1.6GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM. I have a SATA 80GB hard drive. I am using the built in Gigabit network card that came with the computer and a TRENDnet TEG-PCITXRL low profile gigabit network card. I have turned my Netgear N900 router into a access point. 

Below is the pfsense packages I use.

Dashboard Widget: Antivirus Status

HAVP antivirus

pfBlocker

Sarg

Jason

I use snort, sarg, squid, lightsquid, bandwidthd,darkstat. Found HAVP to throw too many false positives.

Dave

It's probably time for us to discuss a little pfSense on the HSS again.  Anyone interested just drop me a PM here on the board.

Here is my pfSense concern.  I can never see if an update is ready.  I used to run bandwidthd but I'm on a clean install right now.

2.0.1-RELEASE (i386) 
built on Mon Dec 12 17:53:52 EST 2011 

Unable to check for updates.

Jason

I am running 2.1-RC1 latest built. Perhaps your auto upgrade settings are pointed to an incorrect or outdated URL. I had that issue at one point. Once redirected it accurately detects daily builds. Will go back and copy the URL I point to which should address your issue.

Big Worm

It's probably time for us to discuss a little pfSense on the HSS again.  Anyone interested just drop me a PM here on the board.

Here is my pfSense concern.  I can never see if an update is ready.  I used to run bandwidthd but I'm on a clean install right now.

2.0.1-RELEASE (i386) 

built on Mon Dec 12 17:53:52 EST 2011 

Unable to check for updates.

You have to put in the url for the auto update.  Out of the box it is not filled in.  You can find it under System -> Cert Manager -> Updater Settings

http://updates.pfsense.org/_updaters

pfSenseAutoUpdateURL_zps43cbca09.jpg

Edited by Big Worm

ikon

I use snort, sarg, squid, lightsquid, bandwidthd,darkstat. Found HAVP to throw too many false positives.

I hate to admit it, but one of the minor (and I do mean very minor) reasons I stopped using Linux for servers was the absolutely stupid names; things like squid, snort, etc. After a number of years of these names, I couldn't help asking, "what are we, in grade 3 doing fart jokes?".

Like I said, the names weren't the reason I quit using Linux (except for Untangle) but I certainly wasn't sorry to see them go :)

timekills

I found squid was having problems with some media sites. Granted, this is using the OpenVPN plugin as well and going through a VPN, but often the video would fail. I tried the latest (beta) version of squid as well and it has some updates specifically for media caching but no dice.

Also found the latest version of lightsquid has some problems showing (graphically) the actual squid caching use.

Jason

I setup some sites more to cache like YouTube, my usenet provider, etc. One of most valuable features of pfsense for me is the traffic shaping. Helps to prioritize my usenet, torrent, cloud backup, SSH, DNS and HTTP/S traffic. Can be a bit complicated to setup but once done it works well.