RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L - ECC vs NON-ECC and higher RAM usage

Pancakes

2 x 2GB NON-ECC = 72% Usage with WS2012E and 5 reboots

2 x 2GB ECC = 59% Usage with WS2012E and 5 reboots

Does anyone know whats going on here?

I think there is probably something else causing the difference in memory usage.  

I do know that ECC can slow a computer a VERY small amount but I have never heard of it causing it to cause a system to use more memory in such a large amount.  Or any for that matter.  

I tried it again last night while I was messing around. If i stick non-ecc in there it uses more RAM

This is an odd effect. I can't help but wonder if the system is using some RAM to retain ECC info that would normally be handled by the RAM circuitry itself.

If it is that the system is using RAM space to retain ECC info, then I suspect it's a system/model specific thing not to be found on other hardware.

All ECC functions (info?) is the reason for & handled by the extra chip on the DIMM.  I know that newer CPU's integrate ECC testing into the chip though too.    

What program / command are you using to get the memory use information?  What type of machine?  The reason I ask is if this was a known issue associated with ECC memory alone it would be WIDELY documented in the MANY pros/cons articles on ECC use.  

This is interesting though!! :) 

All ECC functions (info?) is the reason for & handled by the extra chip on the DIMM.  I know that newer CPU's integrate ECC testing into the chip though too.    

What program / command are you using to get the memory use information?  What type of machine?  The reason I ask is if this was a known issue associated with ECC memory alone it would be WIDELY documented in the MANY pros/cons articles on ECC use.  

This is interesting though!! :)

Using built in Windows monitoring in WS2012E, and its an N40L using 2 x HP ECC DIMM's

Exactly. Which is why I was wondering if, somehow, the system is emulating the function of the ECC chip on the DIMMs by using some RAM to perform its functions. Maybe the CPU is doing it because it realises the DIMMs are non-ECC?

NOW I understand Ikon sometimes Im a little slllllooooowwwww (I expect a free license if I hear about Ikon's "soft-ECC" in the future :) 

I have spent a fair amount of time digging into this trying to find some reliable information on ECC using more (or showing higher usages) memory then non-ECC RAM without much luck.  Anyone else find anything or anything new Pancakes?

I really love general hardware information/facts like this is.