RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dude

Moving Back-up files from Hard Drives

Dude

I have a 2TB drive that I have been using for my Server Back-ups. 

Twice a day (as suggested by WHS2011) I have backed up my shares (500GB) and my client Back-ups (have grown to 1052GB).

I like to keep a lot of Back-ups so the 2TB drive was running out of space, so I added a 3TB drive, over time this has also started to run out of space so now I have added a 4TB drive. 

What I would like to do is move the files on the 2TB drive to the 4TB drive.

Does any-one know how I can do this so WHS2011 updates all its files etc to point to the 4TB drive.

ikon

I'm a little unclear on the backup situation. Are you backing up to a single drive, and changing to a larger drive as needed, or do you have multiple drives doing a single backup (is this possible?), or do you have multiple drives designated for backup, but you're using one of them at a time? I'm a little unclear because, as I believe you know, I only use Windows Server Backup to back up the WHS2011 OS drive, not any data, so I don't run into this issue.

Dude

Hi Ikon, I have 3 drives that have Server back-ups on them.

WHS2011 doesn't back-up across volumes so to illustrate I have :-

2TB drive has back-ups from May2010 - June 2011,

3TB drive has back-ups from July 2011 - May 2013

4TB drive has back-ups from June 2013 to now

I would like to copy the back-ups from the 2TB drive onto the 4TB drive so as I can use the 2TB for other purposes.

I expect it wouldn't work to do a robo copy as WHS2011 knows what back-ups are on what drives.

Regards

ikon

Ah. Thanks. Now I get it. (you have to use little words when talking to me :) )

I think I would take a spare drive, copy a few files from the 2TB & 4TB to it (after having WHS2011 designate it as a backup drive), and see what WHS2011 thinks of it. I think one key thing would be to try and ensure all the files for a specific date are copied over; otherwise it might complain mightily :) Do you know, is each backup a single file, or is there some way to identify which are which?

Dude

Well the saga continues, I decided to go into Server Back-ups and see the date for the 2TB drive files and guess what, its not showing up anymore as containing any back-ups.

So now I'm wondering how to retain for date on the server back-ups.
So I double clicked on the server in computers and back-up tab.  It gives you a list of all your back-ups and the drives.  The oldest server back-up is 21/7/2013 yet I have been backing up for over a year.

I can't find were I change the retention duration, can any-one help.

Pancakes

Maybe use acronis to just clone the drive? 

Drashna Jaelre

IF this is in windows, did you select "this computer" or "another computer". IF you picked "this computer", try the other one.

Technogod

Server Backup deletes the oldest backup to make room for the newest backup. The only way to tell which backups are available is to open Windows Server Backup under Administrative Tools. There is no retention policy for Server Backup.

Dude

Thanks Technogod, haven't been in that screen for a while.  I can see that there have been 180 back-ups the oldest being 19/8/2012  and the volumes they were backed up to, however when I select from the Dashboard >Computers and Back-up>Server2011  It only shows those done since 21/7/2013.

Weird