RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Zune Software

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So I am getting really tired of icrap (ie, itunes). Today I downloaded zune and to much surprise it has played every song I have purcahsed from itunes. I have tested about 50 out of about 500 songs purchased through itunes. Anyone else notice this. If it continues to work, bye bye ipods and hello Zune HD.

One problem I have noticed with zune so far is the songs break up when it plays them. That will be a problem if it continues. It may just because it is indexing/loading/or whatever it does to my 4,600 songs.

I really like my Zune and the Zune software. Got a 30GB original Zune off of Woot about two years ago and it has worked flawlessly. If more people would give it a try they would like it. The argument is, well you dn't own your music. My response is, just how many times do you really listen to a song?

You don't own your music????? Can you not buy songs? I haven't looked at it a lot so still learning. When I get a new song, I will listen to it 50 to 100 times before moving on.

Sure you can buy songs. You can rip your CD collection. You can play m4a's, mp3's, etc. All that. Heck, when listening to HD radio, there's even an option to add a song to your cart so you can buy it in Zune Marketplace. If they ever get Silverlight on the Zune HD, that'll be so cool. We'll be able to stream from our servers with no additional software.

A couple of updates...

First to my surprise, Zune has been able to play my itunes downloaded music. I have tested this on about 50 songs so far and it worked on all of them. Nice!

Now that I have Zune installed I can't open itunes. It tells me that I don't have sufficient access rights. Only think that has changed is I added the Zune software. Not sure if that is causing the problem though. Anyone have experience with this?

This has turned into a disaster. Looks like I will be doing a restore tonight. I am having all kinds of problems ever since I added Zune.

Ah, that's too bad. I wonder, did you reinstall iTunes? Before reinstall, did you removed any reference to iTunes from the registry?

I've installed Zune and iTunes on my daughter's computer. Her music collection is mostly m4a which plays well on both.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling and everything else I could think of (including using a W7 restore point) but none of it worked.

Thank God for WHS. I started the image reinstall last night, went to bed, and this morning I put the drive back in my computer and all is good. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

dvn

Yes that is correct. That way you don't have to worry about drivers because it is relying on the drivers of the machine you connect the drive to. So it is guaranteed to be able to communicate with the server.