RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
bluedust

New Proliant Microserver Gen8

bluedust

This is my first post, so I thought I would say hi and introduce myself. I work in the computer industry which means I run a team of guys who build websites; I should really call myself a java developer, but I have not been able to code much lately. I am interested in all things technology and I like to keep my self sharp by dabbling into all things tech, so I decided on investing in a proper server for the home. In the past I have made attempts to run servers at home, but they were either too loud or not fit for purpose. I have bought a Proliant Microserver Gen8 and this is what I hope to do with it:

• host basic lamp server available online for my own personal use
  • run database servers for development purposes (mysql and mongo db) 
  • run webservers and application servers
  • play around with stuff :)

I only have the standard ram and CPUthat came with it; however I bought 2x 2TB WD reds to run in raid 1. I plan to upgrade CPU and RAM later when it is clearer what my hardware requirements are, but this is my plan:

Install VMWare ESXi Hypervisor on a micro sd card and install VMs for the uses I have listed above; I want to do this to give me freedom of not being tied to the hardware. Hopefully this means I can upgrade my processor worrying if that will cause problems with the host OS. I know 2gigs of RAM is tiny for a virtualisation, but for now I only need one or two VMs, and only one will needs to be running 24/7. In the future I may need more VMs, but that is when I can decide on a beefy CPU and max out the RAM. I am hoping to learn more about the device and my requirements before I spend any more money. 

Assuming what I am planning makes sense I have a few questions:

1. What size micro sd card should I buy for the Hypervisor?
  2. Will I have problems upgrading memory and CPU in the future?
  3. Have I missed anything?
Edited by bluedust
  • Like 1

Joe_Miner

I'm sure other's who know more than I will jump in with answers/suggestions for your questions I just wanted to say "Welcome to the Forums BlueDust" 

In the Gen8 "Links" page we have a lot of links to reference info/videos that may help you learn more about the Gen8 as well as the many great discussions/threads going on in the Forums.  You'll find quite a number of people who have upgraded the CPU and RAM with few problems.  There's also a number of Blog postings on the Gen8 with more to come in the future.

FiLiNuX

Hi BlueDust,  

1. I know ESXi runs fine on a 4GB but  MicroSD cards are dirt cheap (where I am anyhow)  so you might as well get something larger & of good quality with 16GB cards > 20.00. 

2. Awesome question!!  In regards to the physical upgrades I think you will do fine.  In regards to ESXi there have been some small issues in the past when swapping CPU's with different manufacturing processes/technology requiring re-install of ESXi.  The upgrade benefits will greatly outweigh any additional time needed The memory should not be a issue that requires anything more then changing some settings in VM's if wanted. 

3.OH NO!! Did I miss it to?  :)

I would make adding more RAM priority one so you enjoy all that Gen8 happiness.  One benefit you have though is you are talking about Linux machines which can do mighty things with tiny memory requirements.  Do you prefer any certain Distro ?  I know its not exactly the same but I ran Debian on my N40L (gen 7 microserver) with 2 KVMs of Ubuntu Server on 2 GB's without problem.  

Look forward to hearing about how ALL of this works out for you as I would like to do the same thing in the future with the same hardware minus the heavy DB or Java Development stuff.  As for program development though I  don't want to brag but I did just write a pretty spiffy "Hello World" program in BASH so if you ever want to talk shop :) 

• Like 1

bluedust

My plans to get the Gen8 running was halted when ESXi refuse to install due to not enough memory; it claims that I have 1.7 something and it requires 1.9 something, but that is ok because I decided to stop messing about and order 16 gb.

I have ordered two of the following:

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/?partid=kth-pl316e/8g

Although I clearly have not got that far with the setup it has been fun setting it up; the build quality is excellent and the front loading drive bays are a smart design feature. 

My only gripe, so far, is the torque wrench they give you is rubbish; the L shape tool has different sizes, and the size I needed to mount the drives was on the short end of the L and it has hard getting leverage.

I set up 2X 2TB drives on raid 1 using the stock HP setup utility; I was wondering if the ESXi will have a problem seeing it; does anyone know.

The PS1810-8G switch arrived today so I can start filling out the forms to get the following cash back to make it free:

http://image.ebuyer.com/customer/promos/hp-claim/Microserver%20&%20Switch%20-%20August%202013.pdf

When it is all set up I will post pictures :)

I am also thinking about upgrading the stock processor, but I really do not want to breach the 35W TDP. I am wondering isn't there a genuine concern of overheating and therefore invalidating warranty for those running the 69W TDP: Xeon E3-1230V2, Xenon E3-1270 V2 & Xeon E3-1240V2 processors?

I am seriously considering 20W TDP: Xeon E3-1220L, but I can't find it anywhere in the UK; the closest I have found is a preorder from scan.co.uk:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e3-1220l-v2-ivy-bridge-s1155-dual-core-23ghz-3mb-smart-cache-23x-ratio-175w-oem

Will update when I have more info

mrmellypants

Hi Bluedust,

Welcome, yes I tried to install the ESXi VM Ware HP image but failed due to the same problem, the image requires 1.9 to run......agghhhhhhh, if you have your ram upgraded perhaps you can give us some feedback on the performance of how many VM's loaded what type etc.

Joe - I have looked in the ESXi software section but not much feedback on people with performance experience on what VM,s running or how many, so sorry if slightly off topic.

Jason.

bluedust

I upgraded to 16gb of RAM and this allowed me to finish my instal of VMWare ESXi 5.1; I have a few VM running, but I don't see performance being issue with the work I need to do.

psikey

I am also thinking about upgrading the stock processor, but I really do not want to breach the 35W TDP. I am wondering isn't there a genuine concern of overheating and therefore invalidating warranty for those running the 69W TDP: Xeon E3-1230V2, Xenon E3-1270 V2 & Xeon E3-1240V2 processors?

I am seriously considering 20W TDP: Xeon E3-1220L, but I can't find it anywhere in the UK; the closest I have found is a preorder from scan.co.uk:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e3-1220l-v2-ivy-bridge-s1155-dual-core-23ghz-3mb-smart-cache-23x-ratio-175w-oem

Will update when I have more info

I've gone with the E3-1265LV2 because it is a true QUAD core/ 8 thread CPU with significant performance boost (CPU Mark over 8,300) yet only 45W. I ordered it through my IT HP rep but still not arrived yet, hopefully tomorrow or early next week.

The E3-1220L is only PassMark 3,563 and only dual core.

Only online UK stock I can find for the E3-1265LV2 is: http://www.extak.com/catalog/44944/Intel-Xeon-E3-1265LV2---2.5-GHz---4-core?ppc=google_shopping  (never used myself)

Also due in soon  here:  http://www.lambda-tek.com/BX80637E31265L2-Intel-XEON-E3-1265LV2-2-50GHZ-SKT1155-8MB-CACHE-BOXED-IN~cs/2481891 who I've used a few times and good.

Edited by psikey