RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Very simple drive pool needed

Pancakes

Okay, so in my Plex/File server I have 2 x 3TB Drives. One of them has no data, one is almost full. I want to make a drivepool with no duplication or redundancy.

But, I must be able to still access the data after i add the drive to the pool, since I have nowhere to backup 3TB of movies just yet

What the the best software for doing this?

Just tried drivebender, and even though the drive is added to the pool. None of the old data is accessible 

I don't use drivebender, but did you move the data from the other folders into the pool after the pool was created? If it is like drivepool you can write directly to the drive, bypassing the pool. Hopefully drivebender doesn't need you to temp move the data off the drive before adding it to the pool.

Stablebit DrivePool http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Features is what I've been using.   Partially Quoting from DrivePool: 

Pooled Disks Can Continue to Store Non-Pooled Data
  • You can continue to use any disk added to the pool, just like you did before it was part of the pool.
  • Pooled disks will continue to be exposed as a separate drive, just as they were before, and can contain non-pooled data.
  • Disk and file I/O is not filtered or altered in any way by DrivePool when you access any pooled disk directly.
  • Essentially, nothing is altered about the disk when it becomes part of the pool, aside from it now being able to store pooled files.
Pooled Data is Stored in Standard NTFS Files
  • All your data is stored in standard NTFS files on each individual disk in the pool. The data is simply stored in a hidden folder under the root directory.
  • This means that if something goes wrong with your computer, you can simply connect any of the pooled drives to a different PC to gain full access to the pooled files stored on that drive. No need to install StableBit DrivePool or anything else to access your original data.
  • No databases are involved, no special RAID like formatting is involved that requires the original software / hardware to function, just plain NTFS that is compatible with virtually all computers.
Edited by Joe_Miner

That looks like it does everything I need, I especially like the fact you can just take the drives out

I don't use drivebender, but did you move the data from the other folders into the pool after the pool was created? If it is like drivepool you can write directly to the drive, bypassing the pool. Hopefully drivebender doesn't need you to temp move the data off the drive before adding it to the pool.

It shows as almost full, but you cant get to any of the data.. So its pretty much useless for me