RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Do drives retain temperature information?

g725s

I've got four HGST 4tb drives in my Microserver.  Of those drives two were purchased in enclosures and the other two were sold as internal drives and were just packed in a box.

Using my P410 ACU I obtained the following information:

The two drives that were removed from enclosures show a higher maximum temperature of around 56C

The two drives purchased as internal drives show a maximum temperature of around 37C

All four drives appear to always show a current temperature of around 34C now that they have all been installed in my MicroServer with the P410.

I'm thinking that the ones purchased in enclosures might have obtained this higher temperature prior to being removed from the enclosure as I had tested them prior to removing them from the enclosure.

Thoughts on this?

Edited by g725s

If you mean the SMART information (including maximum drive temperature reached) between formats, then the answer is yes. Much like the infamous black box or even computers in vehicles it can be used for - or against - you for return purposes as well.

• Like 1

^ +1

But I don't think it matters when having a disk RMA'd.

I've sent back a number of drives through their drop-off point (Seagate uses DHL). Several moments after the defective drive is received, I get a notification from Seagate that the replacement drive is already being processed for shipping out from Singapore.

I'm almost certain that DHL doesn't have the facility to test the returned drives, aside from obvious physical damage

Edited by oj88

^ +1

But I don't think it matters when having a disk RMA'd.

I've sent back a number of drives through their drop-off point (Seagate uses DHL). Several moments after the defective drive is received, I get a notification from Seagate that the replacement drive is already being processed for shipping out from Singapore.

I'm almost certain that DHL doesn't have the facility to test the returned drives, aside from obvious physical damage

It has for enterprise systems, although not against the purchaser (from my experience.) We've (I'm military/Army) never had a drive rejected for stored SMART data but we did have a set that were claimed against the shipper due to them all showing high G-forces suffered. Presumably they'd been mishandled during shipping. We had one fail (SAS) and put a second in to replace it and it signaled a check error. When we went to return it, Dell had us run a check on two more drives and replaced the batch without us checking any more. They eventually went back to look if there was a problem with the batch of drives and we had to send a report on the shipper and shipping type.

• Like 2

Oh yeah enterprise vendors are cracking down. We had an AC unit go out in our demo lab. I got a call from EMC advising me that the ambient temperature had exceeded the threshold that would allow the array to maintain its normal operating temperature and this could void our service contract.

The AC unit emailed me thirty seconds later to let me know it was dead.

Oh yeah enterprise vendors are cracking down. We had an AC unit go out in our demo lab. I got a call from EMC advising me that the ambient temperature had exceeded the threshold that would allow the array to maintain its normal operating temperature and this could void our service contract.

The AC unit emailed me thirty seconds later to let me know it was dead.

Well, at least it's a polite AC unit, not to mention informative :)