RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
psikey

G8 Microserver - Be aware of Fan issue, add in cards

Pancakes

14C coming out?! That's ridiculous. No computer needs, or dare I say 'should', run that low, at least not unless you're super cooling, and that comes with its own set of hurdles and risks.

Hes meaning its 14 higher 

ikon

Well, it did seem kinda weird, but he did say it's doing no work, so I had to wonder. It seemed to break a basic law of thermodynamics.

overcoat

Delta as in Δ  ;)

• Like 1

gstarks

Any of you that have open support cases relating to the fan speed, please private message me with the case number and your contact info (name/email) if you don't mind.   Once i get a 3-4 it should hopefully be enough to capture the conditions for replicating the issues in the labs.. As i mentioned previously, we've got folks looking into it, but not seeing all the same issues. With a support case, we can get it properly escalated and also they can do things like capture the low-level active health logs for deeper analysis.

Thanks!

• Like 2

ikon

Nice gstarks. :)

psikey

Some updated news here: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/MicroServer-Gen8-is-noisy/td-p/6171563/page/2#.UjmykiJwaUk

Re: MicroServe​r Gen8 is noisy

Good news!

I have just been contacted by a Level 2 Engineer who let me know that support has been able to pinpoint the source of the problem:

The case is progressing, I will keep you posted![...] we have pinpointed the issue to be the fan tables on the server when the controller is enabled on AHCI/Legacy mode, which are different than in RAID mode.

The case is being elevated to engineering for their input and possible fix on the issue.

The case is progressing, I will keep you posted!

Edited by psikey

adster01

Some updated news here: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/MicroServer-Gen8-is-noisy/td-p/6171563/page/2#.UjmykiJwaUk

Good news!

I have just been contacted by a Level 2 Engineer who let me know that support has been able to pinpoint the source of the problem:

The case is progressing, I will keep you posted![...] we have pinpointed the issue to be the fan tables on the server when the controller is enabled on AHCI/Legacy mode, which are different than in RAID mode.

The case is being elevated to engineering for their input and possible fix on the issue.

Sounds promising!

Edited by adster01

overcoat

Fantastic :)

fredaroony

Good news!

So weird because my fans always run at 29% regardless of the mode but this is still pretty loud. Hopefully they sort it out even though I'm using an Adaptec controller.

ikon

Fantastic news psikey.