G8 Microserver - Be aware of Fan issue, add in cards

Calle

Update:

2zQmyCV.png

7ULLdxZ.png

ThqUvyV.png

Doesn't make any sense...

psikey

I had same with my P222. Sometimes ILO4 detects it and on other reboots it shows no Array Controllers and fan stays high. I have had it showing both and fan reduced but not consistent.

schoondoggy

I installed a P212 in addition to the B120i, now iLo can not find either.

I have a HP support call ticket open.

psikey

Lets hope they come up with a fix and also make the fan behave itself if people just want to use AHCI mode.

TheBiggerMan

+1 on the fan issue.  As if we needed further confirmation, I too am experiencing a fan at around 32% with the B120i in AHCI mode.  It's tolerable in my office (alongside a Cisco 890), but really there's no reason to be penalizing me just for running AHCI mode.

BTW - I am on my 3rd fan unit - the original fan that was delivered with the MicroServer and first replacement were both faulty (worked but made annoying clicking noises).  3rd fan is working great.  Is anyone else having this problem?  The fact that I had 2 fans with this issue makes me think this cannot be isolated (or I'm just incredibly unlucky).

eal

+1 Here too.  I bought the Gen8 (with 16GB RAM) to replace my old server.  I didn't want any hassle, so I chose a ready built server.  Turns out the machine is too noisy to have in the apartment, when running in AHCI mode.  RAID mode doesn't seem to work with CentOS/RHEL - it changes to SATA mode at bootup.  Not that I want fake RAID anyway (was planning on using ZFS).

Might have to return the machine and build my own. :(

overcoat

I have an open support case regarding fan noise in SATA AHCI mode and have shared my iLO logs which show the 33% fan speed at idle and 22C which many others have observed.

They're reading this thread and I remain optimistic a firmware fix can be provided for the bug.

ikon

While 22C is remarkably low, it's probably cooler than necessary. I would certainly trade a little more quietness (i.e. lower fan speed) for a little higher temp.

overcoat

That's the ambient intake temp and the delta to exhaust is about 14C, so you're spot on - it's doing no work and doesn't need to run the fan that fast :)

I hope the Gen8 firmware has a fan speed map based on that delta and HP can fine tune it.

ikon

14C coming out?! That's ridiculous. No computer needs, or dare I say 'should', run that low, at least not unless you're super cooling, and that comes with its own set of hurdles and risks.