RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
psikey

G8 Microserver - Be aware of Fan issue, add in cards

ikon

True, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people who end up using add-in cards, so they will benefit.

psikey

Well I've done a couple of server reboots now and iLO4 fails to see the P222 card and for whatever reason keeps the fan at 50%. Obviously a bug in its implementation :(

psikey

Just retried using a PCI SATA3 card for the SSD and setting the internal bays as AHCI with a 1.5TB drive in bay one.

All installs perfectly but again iLO4 insists on running the fan at 39% which is too loud for living room area as a quiet server.

I seems the only way to run this quiet reliably is to us the B120i in RAID mode so that HDD temps are reported to iLO4.  Such a pity because with my 4x3TB media drives able to spin-down in AHCI it only uses 28w idling while using the B120i you can't have the drives spin-down.

Also being raised on HP forums http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/MicroServer-Gen8-is-noisy/td-p/6171563#.Uh0B5pBwaUk

Edited by psikey
  • Like 1

ikon

So you're stuck in you-can't-get-there-from-here-ville again. That's a PITA.

gstarks

I use this as a Media Server in my lounge at home and with the B120i with 4x3TB drives in the bays in RAID10 for storage and an SSD off the Optical as OS it all works great with low noise as fan speed keeps at 6%.

As others may know, if you set the Controller to AHCI or legacy the fan goes loud and stays loud at over 33%.

I decided to buy a P222/512 Smart Array to give me RAID5 plus option later to add an external 4 bay mini SAS housing for a further 4 drives controlled by the P222 (potentially 8 disks in RAID5)

All fitted and recognised perfectly in ACU but then the dreaded fan noise again but now at over 54%. Spent all day on it before finally starting a long chat session with HP.

To cut a long story short, the iLO4 can only handle built-in controllers and it totally handles temp monitoring/fan speed.

Long transcript attached if anyone wants to follow the details.

Hey psikey,

The HP iLO/MicroServer engineering teams have been looking at this and are having trouble duplicating the issue.  In your original post, you shared an HP support chat log.  Please private message me with your case number so we can escalate it and work toward getting this duplicated.

I can say that also on my Gen8 at home, (which is a beta unit, but with updated firmware/BIOS), I have BOTH the P222 with a RAID 5 AND the B120i w/ an SSD boot drive running windows 7.   iLO shows both controllers correctly and the fan spins at 11% both in pre-OS ACU/Intelligent Provisioning, and while windows 7 is running.  The 4 drives in the RAID 5 are older SATA II 160GB.

bDxmArD.png?1

BmDvtHO.png?1

sEJaXgj.png?1

GDuRtqU.png

RQtqh9h.png?1

zJIetzR.png?1

psikey

Don't have time at the moment (work gone mad!) but will relook at this once my Xeon CPU arrives and revisit again.

Calle

Well, simply setting the B120i to AHCI mode or connect one or more 2.5" HDD to the B120i in RAID0 mode makes the fan spin like crazy in my system.

ikon

great discussion guys. One way or another, this should advance the MicroServers.

fredaroony

Well, simply setting the B120i to AHCI mode or connect one or more 2.5" HDD to the B120i in RAID0 mode makes the fan spin like crazy in my system.

I tried this both ways and it made no difference in fan speed.

Hey psikey,

The HP iLO/MicroServer engineering teams have been looking at this and are having trouble duplicating the issue.  In your original post, you shared an HP support chat log.  Please private message me with your case number so we can escalate it and work toward getting this duplicated.

I can say that also on my Gen8 at home, (which is a beta unit, but with updated firmware/BIOS), I have BOTH the P222 with a RAID 5 AND the B120i w/ an SSD boot drive running windows 7.   iLO shows both controllers correctly and the fan spins at 11% both in pre-OS ACU/Intelligent Provisioning, and while windows 7 is running.  The 4 drives in the RAID 5 are older SATA II 160GB.

What about 3rd party controllers? Do you think they might be able to fix the fan issue for them as well?

Calle

I just installed the P410 from my N36L and noticed the following:

1. iLO doesn't show any information about the P410 under the storage tab, the ACU works fine though.

2. Fan runs at about 36-37% which is too loud.

I really hope that a new bios can solve this...