RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
psikey

G8 Microserver - Be aware of Fan issue, add in cards

psikey

The data above is with the case on. the P222 got to 98C with the case off !!

Fan is holding firm at 29% with the P222 at 85C now its hours into the writing of 3.5TB of data and still doing its RAID5 parity stuff. Drives still showing 36C max.

I'm hoping when its all finished it drops back down to under 20% fan speed as that's nice and quiet.

ikon

85C is still pretty dang warm but, as you say, the card is very busy writing data to the array, so hopefully the temp will go down during more normal RAID use.

Calle

I have a P410 in my N36L and that card get very, very hot. I can't keep my finger on the small heatsink for more than a second during heavy usage.

These cards will probably have a cooler and longer life in a bigger Proliant server with better airflow :)

psikey

I have a P410 in my N36L and that card get very, very hot. I can't keep my finger on the small heatsink for more than a second during heavy usage.

These cards will probably have a cooler and longer life in a bigger Proliant server with better airflow :)

The P222 card shows a caution level of 100C (no critical limit) so a fully loaded max of 85C with no fan cooling isn't too bad really considering its been a hot day in UK with Ambient sensor showing 30C. It shows 3 temps, controller, cache, battery and only the controller gets that high.

Edited by psikey

Calle

The P222 card shows a caution level of 100 so a fully loaded max of 85C with no fan cooling isn't too bad really. It shows 3 temps, controller, cache, battery and only the controller gets that high.

The N36L doesn't have the nice ilo management as the gen8. I have loaded the HP agents under ESXi but it only provides array, cache and battery status. Perhaps it's visible if I boot into offline ACU, but it's been going strong for 2+ years so I it can't be that bad ;)

psikey

The N36L doesn't have the nice ilo management as the gen8. I have loaded the HP agents under ESXi but it only provides array, cache and battery status. Perhaps it's visible if I boot into offline ACU, but it's been going strong for 2+ years so I it can't be that bad ;)

I had an N36L and N40L (and QNAP TS-469Pro) but needed more power for Plex transcoding. The base G1610T can do a 1080P transcode no problem so the Xeon E3-1265LV2 I'm fitting will easily handle multiple simultaneous transcodes.

Edited by psikey

ikon

The P222 card shows a caution level of 100C (no critical limit) so a fully loaded max of 85C with no fan cooling isn't too bad really considering its been a hot day in UK with Ambient sensor showing 30C. It shows 3 temps, controller, cache, battery and only the controller gets that high.

I take the critical temp statements with a large grain of salt. The boards use IC chips and, honestly, chips are chips. Some can handle higher temps than others, sure, but basically higher temps shorten the life of all chips. Bottom line: running cooler equals longer life and fewer 'hiccups'.

ikon

If that's the case then all MicroServer owners owe you a box of chocolates. Oh wait, I forgot, this is the Internet.... you get an insult and a slap in the face. Nevertheless, nice work tracking it down and pushing HP to resolve it. Kudos.

psikey

If that's the case then all MicroServer owners owe you a box of chocolates. Oh wait, I forgot, this is the Internet.... you get an insult and a slap in the face. Nevertheless, nice work tracking it down and pushing HP to resolve it. Kudos.

Well, only if you have an add-in card. Nothing to do with the built-in B120i.