RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

G8 Microserver - Be aware of Fan issue, add in cards

psikey

Couldn't you have restored from a Server Backup?

Was going to but had other dramas. I was only using it for a Plex media server so wasnt a major big deal.

Does anyone know if this would change any type of behavior for devices like an SSD connected to the B120i in RAID mode as opposed to AHCI?

Does anyone know if this would change any type of behavior for devices like an SSD connected to the B120i in RAID mode as opposed to AHCI?

I've got an SSD in RAID0 which works quiet - haven't tried it in AHCI though. I have an old OCZ Agility 3. Edited by tangcla

Thanks for the info, Tangcla.  I'm using a Crucial M500 in mine, and just waiting for the last part I need in the mail before the hardware portion of my build is complete and on to the software.

As for OS support, HP documentation clearly shows what they support. It sounds like it is not what you are looking for, but in Linux they support-Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu. Which tend to be the most popular in IT departments. I find it odd that they support Windows SBS2011, but not WHS2011. But I knew that prior to purchase because I researched the support page. 

Ubuntu is certified only for use with AHCI, as stated on the certification page. Of course, I knew this beforehand, too, but nevertheless it's a pita to now have to deal with the fan issue. Because this was NOT something you could have read about before buying the gen8 (at least not when I bought it, now the information is more widespread).

So for me, it's either: switching from ubuntu to RHEL oder SLES, needing to actually buy it, or continue having a fan roaring (ok, this is exaggerated) in my living room. Not willing to spending another couple of hundreds for this machine, it will be the roaring. 

3 posts above yours...

Ubuntu is certified only for use with AHCI, as stated on the certification page. Of course, I knew this beforehand, too, but nevertheless it's a pita to now have to deal with the fan issue. Because this was NOT something you could have read about before buying the gen8 (at least not when I bought it, now the information is more widespread).

So for me, it's either: switching from ubuntu to RHEL oder SLES, needing to actually buy it, or continue having a fan roaring (ok, this is exaggerated) in my living room. Not willing to spending another couple of hundreds for this machine, it will be the roaring. 

I stand corrected, this thread made me search again for a solution for this issue. And I found a driver supported by HP directly that at least recognizes the disk when using RAID instead of AHCI. Right now I am installing Ubuntu 12.4.3 LTS and will report back if that fixes the fan issue using ubuntu.

Update: The driver does work, but against all odds, the fan ist still at 36%, just as high as when using AHCI. I thought the chip itself did the temperature measuring and when I switch to AHCI, this feature is deactivated too - but know I assume that this behaviour is driver-related within the OS... darn. I almost had hopes for a silent server in the living room...

Edited by microsvr.de

3 posts above yours...

I should have been more specific -- I meant in terms of drive performance, driver support, controller/drive features that might be lost in RAID for an SSD as opposed to AHCI.

I'm planning on RAID mode to eliminate the fan noise, but wanted to see if there was a downside.  I'm probably going to try the HP load of ESXi 5.5, and then drop to ESXi 5.1 if I experience issues with 5.5.

Hi guys, I am joining the noisy Gen8 club for a little home fw/nas (2 WD Red).  If only I had stumbled upon this thread earlier...  :(

I tried the annoying fake RAID mode with the rhel hpvsa driver on the latest CentOS (rhel clone) and while I can (painfully) go through the install, the next reboot I get kernel panics...

So I am stuck in AHCI mode.  And, since the server is sitting in my bedroom... that means I have to switch it off (bye bye my website) every evening... :mellow:

If I understand it correclty, the hpvsa driver reports the disks temperature to iLO?

I installed hp health package and I can clearly see all the temperatures and the fan speed... so it is talking to iLO just fine.

I am sure that if hp wanted to, it could report the drives temperature through hp health or another utility.

Or at least they should give us the option to force the fan speed to whatever we want, that's not rocket science...

I just hope they will change their mind and quit the unprofessional jedi mind trick "This product is working as expected".

Anyway, end of rant mode,

JohnD

I think we just gotta wait for the BIOS to be hacked, like with the gen 7! Clearly HP make nice hardware but not so great with firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk