psikey

G8 Microserver - Be aware of Fan issue, add in cards

psikey

I use this as a Media Server in my lounge at home and with the B120i with 4x3TB drives in the bays in RAID10 for storage and an SSD off the Optical as OS it all works great with low noise as fan speed keeps at 6%.

As others may know, if you set the Controller to AHCI or legacy the fan goes loud and stays loud at over 33%.

I decided to buy a P222/512 Smart Array to give me RAID5 plus option later to add an external 4 bay mini SAS housing for a further 4 drives controlled by the P222 (potentially 8 disks in RAID5)

All fitted and recognised perfectly in ACU but then the dreaded fan noise again but now at over 54%. Spent all day on it before finally starting a long chat session with HP.

To cut a long story short, the iLO4 can only handle built-in controllers and it totally handles temp monitoring/fan speed.

Long transcript attached if anyone wants to follow the details.

Chat.pdf

Edited by psikey
  • Like 1

schoondoggy

Thanks for saving the chat.

I am running a P212 and the B120i, but I have not been working with iLo yet.

In Windows Server if I run the ACU on the P212 I can see the temp of the drives and mine are not HP branded.

When I get a chance I will do some testing.

psikey

I've just done some more configuration and basically what he's posted is a crock of sh....t

I've just removed the SSD on the Optical, reconfigured as AHCI for the optical SATA, fitted a normal HDD and the P222 is now showing in iLO4 !!!

But the PCI is showing as 90C and fan is running at 70% +  

Now going to try bot B120i and P222.

schoondoggy

Are you familiar with the process of running a single drive on a HP Smart Array controller? If not you need to make a single drive RAID0.

psikey

Are you familiar with the process of running a single drive on a HP Smart Array controller? If not you need to make a single drive RAID0.

I'm afraid this is my first time with a proper RAID card.

What I'm trying to do is use the built-in Optical SATA off either the B120i or as AHCI as a WIndows OS disk then the P222 as a RAID5 of the 4 drives for Media Files storage.

AM I missing some basic understanding? If so please educate me.

schoondoggy

With the P222 cabled to the internal 4 bays you should be good to go with the RAID5. You can run the SSD off the ODD SATA port, but it will run at SATA II speeds and it sounds like some of your fan issues maybe coming from that. If I were you I would run your SSD off the SFF8087 connection on the motherboard. Do you have a SFF8087 break out cable? You will need one to plug into the motherboard. You could try AHCI or B120i on the internal connection to see if either will resolve your fan issue. To run a single drive on the B120i you need to run the ACU and create a single drive RAID0.

psikey

With the P222 cabled to the internal 4 bays you should be good to go with the RAID5. You can run the SSD off the ODD SATA port, but it will run at SATA II speeds and it sounds like some of your fan issues maybe coming from that. If I were you I would run your SSD off the SFF8087 connection on the motherboard. Do you have a SFF8087 break out cable? You will need one to plug into the motherboard. You could try AHCI or B120i on the internal connection to see if either will resolve your fan issue. To run a single drive on the B120i you need to run the ACU and create a single drive RAID0.

I think I have one if its the type that breaks out to 4 SATA connectors.

The strange thing is, I've just gone into ACU and used the wizard to set B120i as a RAID0 on a 2.5" HDD while the P222 is already showing a healthy RAID10 with Media on the 4x3TB drives. While in the ACU the fan went low to around 18% and browsing to the ILO IP with my desktop both controllers showed with all the drives as did the PCI card temps etc.

When I then rebooted only the B120i shows in the intial BIOS screen and iLo doesn't show any controller cards and fans go high again!

I'm going to try with just the P222 card.

schoondoggy

Yes, the breakout is a SFF8087 to four SATA.

With the B120i and the P222 in the system go into the setup F9 and check for a fan speed setting.

In some of my experimenting I found a three setting speed adjustment, I think it was only there when the B120i was enabled.

ikon

It's interesting how HP ties seemingly unrelated items together, like a RAID card controlling the system cooling fan.