RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Calle

My Gen8 modifications (CPU, RAM, HBA etc - loads of pics!)

Calle

Hi guys!

This is my first post here so I just want to say a quick hello to all you other Microserver fans out there :)
I did some upgrades on my new Gen8 yesterday:

16GB RAM

Intel Xeon E3 1240v2

IBM M1015 with IT-firmware

And some power and SATA preperations for a dual 2.5" HDD setup in the top ODD bay. Everything has been very smooth exept that I had problems loading the ACU when I had the M1015 installed with the default firmware (which loads the OptionRom)

The plan is to use the top ODD bay for 2 x 2.5" HDD's in RAID 1 using the B120i. This is used for the ESXi datastore and I will use VMDirectPath to Passthrough the M1015 to a ZFS AIO Solution or a Linux MDADM (I'm gonna give full disk encryption a go, which means the AES-NI instructions in Xeon CPU is a great addition).

Some pictures during the upgrade:

Plwxjt3h.jpg

2 x Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G (16GB, 1600MHz ECC) and the M1015 HBA.

H9ss8ulh.jpg

This is the stock TIM mount, not great but I've seen worse :)

4gAP5Adh.jpg

The new CPU that is waiting to be installed

h57DV7lh.jpg

Cleaned up the heatsink from the stock TIM

uGVvnrkh.jpg

X1wDNEch.jpg

This molex connector is located under the ODD bay and is ideal to steal some power from

KKLyUDFh.jpg

0qDjA4Zh.jpg

AUEsaDjh.jpg

This is what it looks like after I stuffed some of the exess cabling under the ODD bay.

g419aOfh.jpg

I also added a 8087 to 4x SATA cable which I'm gonna connect to the B120i and RAID a pair of 2.5" HDD's and use for ESXi datastores. I forgot to take a picture after tidying the cables up, this looks like a mess :)

zpzDgto.png

Moneyshot

• Like 2

schoondoggy

Very nice build!

ikon

Great photos; nice and clear.

Joe_Miner

Welcome to the Forums Calle!  

Very nice!  Excellent 1st Post!!  Thanks for sharing -- the photos are especially clear and quite useful!!

When you get a chance introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

I'm certainly looking forward to your future postings :)

FiLiNuX

Thanks Calle!!

The pictures do make it extraordinary!!  

Weird question but is the blue bar under "HP Proliant" on the boot up screen just a progress bar for boot?

adster01

Thanks Calle!!

The pictures do make it extraordinary!!  

Weird question but is the blue bar under "HP Proliant" on the boot up screen just a progress bar for boot?

Yep

Calle

Since the Gen8 is more limited when it comes to adding more HDD's I've been looking for a way to solve this. After a bit of research I found a Swedish dealer that gave me a great deal on a pair of Sans Digital TR4X 4 bay SATA enclosures. They had stopped stocking them and I got the last two for a bargain.

I would have preferred black but at this price even pink was okay ;)

HQthOd2h.jpg

M064EDEh.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for a SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 cable since none of my cards have a 8088 connector.

Some more pics: http://imgur.com/a/f42P5

Build quality is on the cheaper side but I think they will work great for my needs.

Edited by Calle