RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pancakes

Do you backup your Movie/TV Show collections?

Pancakes

What are your guys views on this? 

Dave

I have an extra copy of DVD rips but don't bother with recorded tv. Admittedly, I don't have a large collection movies. Maybe 100 titles.

Pancakes

I tend to have everything in Blu-Ray, around 15GB per movie. And then all the TV in 720p

So far I am up to around 3TB~ is Movies and TV shows, but backing them up is going to be expensive for something I actually don't care about that much 

But if I lost all of it, it would be a PITA. So I am on the fence. Maybe I should get a larger NAS/another Server 

ikon

I back up all data. I don't separate critical data from non-critical. Why? 'Cause I'm too lazy ;) Now, that said, I have to admit I have less than 6 TB in total. I hate to think about backing up 12 to 15 or more TB.

vinylfreak

My movie collection DVDs , BluRays and HDDvds are all sitting on a Raid 5 in my WHS 2011 box. I don't make a backup copy of them. The physical discs they were archived from are my backups. 

My Recorded TV Shows are sitting on a Drive Bender Pool on my HTPC. I also do not back them up. 

The only exception to that , would be specials or hard to find shows that I have recorded. I do put those on my Raid 5 on my WHS 2011.

I do however have Several copies backed up of all my Music and Photo files. Photos are irreplaceable and I do Not want to take the time again to re rip all my CDs. Just laziness I guess. 

:D

JayBee

I back up all data. I don't separate critical data from non-critical. Why? 'Cause I'm too lazy ;) Now, that said, I have to admit I have less than 6 TB in total. I hate to think about backing up 12 to 15 or more TB.

same here, my backup procedure is as follows:

Cloud

^

^

|

Central server---> Media centre

|

v

Portable hard drive

I hope my crude illustration works, lol. Basicially everything gets placed onto my central file server, that gets synced across to a portable hard drive (easy to grab in an emergency/fire) and to my media centre box. As a precaution it also goes and sits in an encrypted cloud

slightly under 3tb at the moment. 

Edited by JayBee

FiLiNuX

In my case I use a multi-level backup for NON-REPLACEABLE data.  The only thing that can not be replaced (IMHO) is pictures,original documents, and original media.  I do keep a copy of my music collection on 2 different machines / drives as it is very large and would be a CHORE to replace - reacquire.  Same goes for my Perry Mason collection.   

Pancakes

Whats your upload speed? and do you store the media locally on your Media Center too? why not use Plex or something?

JayBee

Whats your upload speed? and do you store the media locally on your Media Center too? why not use Plex or something?

Slow, but it doesn't matter as my central server is on 24/7. Around 1mbit/5mbit depending on time of day. The initial backup took a couple of weeks. I keep everything locally because it serves as another in house backup and it means I can play movies without having to worry about latency or streaming high quality bluray across my network sucking up bandwidth. I generally stream my music though, using subsonic. :)

Pancakes

Slow, but it doesn't matter as my central server is on 24/7. Around 1mbit/5mbit depending on time of day. The initial backup took a couple of weeks. I keep everything locally because it serves as another in house backup and it means I can play movies without having to worry about latency or streaming high quality bluray across my network sucking up bandwidth. I generally stream my music though, using subsonic. :)

Ah interesting, is hard drive noise not a problem?