RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Drive Recommendations for Vail

Alvin Ramard

I'm trying to pick out the parts for a new i3 based Vail server. I'm having trouble deciding what I should do for the system drive. Should I use one of the 2 2TB drives I plan to use, or should I use a separate much smaller drive and reserve it for OS only?

What do you think?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• fasthair

• Alvin Ramard

My thinking is to go with a small drive for the OS and keep it out of the storage pool. My reasoning is since WHS tries to save the OS drive as a last resort for data storage once the pool is out of space you are just wasting a good 2TB drive. I can see a 160GB drive being about perfect for Vail. Anyway that is my plan going forward with Vail.

fasthair

I was thinking of running two flash drives in raid. Is 160 overkill for the OS?

How do you prevent WS from using the sytem drive in the pool?

In Vail the option is there in the Dashboard. In the Server Folders and Hard Drives tab is the option to exclude the system disk when you click on it. You need to have one extra disk in the pool to use this feature. Of course it would be best to have at three disks in the system so you can still use duplication which is turned on by default on all shares when you have two or more disks installed.

fasthair

That is a cool feature. So why such a big drive. Wouldn't it be better to just get a 40 or 60 GB to reduce waste.

As far as the 160GB drive goes I think that is going to be smallest drive you can use. Not sure all the tech stuff but I read that Vail needs to have 100GB extra over and above the 60GB used for the OS drive. Oh and I think a RAID 0 SSD is very much overkill for a file server :)

fasthair

Raid 0 would be cool, but I agree it would be overkill. I was talking about Raid 1 (mirroring) just for a little extra protection on the sys drive.

I'm probably going to start with 1 - 160 GB drive and 2 - 2TB drives. I alkready have 1 of the 2TB drives. I'm using it on an older machine to test the Vail for now. The 160 GB drive will cost me an extra $40. That's quite reasonable.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Now to figure out which motherboard to get.