RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
burkhardi

HP MS G8 with Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

burkhardi

Just wanted to chime in there that I was able to get Kubuntu 12.04 working (not much "able" to it, just stuck the installer on a USB drive and let it rip) with my box...

Setup with three 2TB Seagate NAS HDDs in RAID5. By box is the 712318-001 with the G2020T Ivy Bridge

Running samba and all my clients around the house can access it w/o issues, even my old Photobridge can see and use it.

I transferred 40GB of data from it on to my Win7 box and it did the job in ~12min and the CPU on the MS G8 was never higher then 25% and most of the time bouncing around 15% usage and this was also whilst the kids where streaming the .iso of Wreck it Ralph from the MS G8 to the Photobridge at the same time.

Very impressed so far, other then the fan noise that I posted about in another post, it's not loud at all, just louder then when your in the F9 setup screen with the HP GUI. Perhaps a BIOS update can address this. Read somewhere that the fan is around 13% with it's sleeping like I have it and when in the F9 screen it's about 6%. If I can get it quieter, I'll be a very happy camper.

I have the DVD R/W ODD too and need to get a power plug adapter for it, might get this one (http://usb.brando.com/slimline-sata-with-4-pin-mini-plug-power-2-in-1-cable_p00608c032d015.html ) and just change the end to match the OEM plug.  Looking for the braket too, the ODD I got does not have the little bracket on the right rear that snaps in to the tab to hold it in place.

The OS is on a SSD that is in BAY1 and I used this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PZDVF6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) adapter to make it work with the OEM bracket and it works like a charm. So all four bays have the quick relase breakcts on them. After the fact, but I didn't know about the SD slot on the MoBo until after i bought and intalled teh SSD, or else I may have stuck a 32GB MicoSD in there for the OS.

Now I just need to setup Rsync and DeltaCopy to do my backups...

Regards, Matt

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Pretty cool!  Thanks for Sharing Burkhardi! +1

ikon

Nice work burkhardi. Except for Untangle, I no longer run any *ix OS', but it's good to know it works. The more versatile the box, the more it will succeed.

KydDynoMyte

Since the 4 bays are split into 2 SATAII and 2 SATAIII bays, would you get better preformance by being careful about which drive to put in which bay? Like, should it be better to put the OS on SATAII and the DATA on SATAIII or vice versa? Using 3 data drives, does it make a difference if only 1 is on SATAIII instead of 2 being on SATAIII? I suppose it would matter on the type of RIAD. I would guess the most accessed drives being in the SATAIII bays would help most overall?

ikon

I've wrestled with this in my own mind. It's a weird design IMHO. I can't figure out what would be best, except in a situation where not that much storage is needed. For example, if someone needs 4TB or of data storage, they could install a nice little SSD in bay 1 and 2x4TB HDDs in bays 3 & 4. That would give fast bootup and fast access to a WHS Dashboard. Mirroring the 2x4TB would give some significant resiliency for the data. Add a good backup plan and it would be a great little server for many situations. Add a 2nd SSD to bay 2, and mirror the OS SSD, and the resiliency goes up even more.

You know, the more I think about it, this would be a nice system for ME! :) Mind you, as many here know, I have very robust backup, so I could probably get away with running the data drives in RAID0 and get 8TB of data storage. I'm just not sure I need that much.

FiLiNuX

Thanks for the info Burkhardi!!

Just out of curiosity are you running the 12.04 for the LTS?  If your not interested in the LTS then 13.04 is available.  

Also out of curiosity why Kubuntu for a server?  Don't get me wrong Kubuntu is a GREAT distro/spin but KDE is heavy on most of the resources (video, ram, cpu) and I would think you would be better served (funny, served :) by using a server distro.  Ubuntu server on my Microserver with a few programs running uses way less then 256 MB of RAM.   If it is a desire to stay away from the command line there are programs like Webmin that allow you to setup & service a server all point & click super EZ.  

Regardless I thank you again for the information.  I love hearing about ALL forms of *nix ESPECIALLY on hardware that interests me and I hope to be running soon. 

burkhardi

Just out of curiosity are you running the 12.04 for the LTS?  If your not interested in the LTS then 13.04 is available.  

Also out of curiosity why Kubuntu for a server?  . 

I wanted the Long Term Support and why I went with it. That was my inital thinking and it may change, but that was my mind set at the time. I was thining about Ubuntu server and probably would have gone that way since the only reason i wanted Kubuntu was for Plasma because I don't like Unity. I think the reason I didn't go with a true server base OS was my comfort level. I did have CentOS before on the last box and really liked it, but it seems that CentOS is loosing steam a little and why I went to Kubuntu/Ubuntu; plus talking to a friend of mine that is more into this then I, recommended it. To be totaly honest, CentOS was pushing it for me as far as skill set due to they way programs are installed (e.g. tarballs, repositories), but I liked the challange and still want to learn and even with Kubuntu I try to do most from the terminal. Still getting use to the "sudo" since it was different in CentOS. For me, it's a great mix of the two (overdone GUI and command line).

EDIT: For got KydDynoMyte: Yes, that whole SATAII on two bays and SATAIII on the other is strange. I guess they figured you would put your main drive in the SATAIII slot and the mirror in the SATAII? Good quesiton and lord knows why they did it, other then money I assume.

Edited by burkhardi

FiLiNuX

Thanks again burkhardi.   CentOS is a great distro (Its Red Hat without the name & art) but for someone just getting started I think the Debian based distro's are a bit easier and every bit as powerful.  Almost all package management is going to involve repositories but you should not have to be using tarballs & installing from source much unless you want to.  With Debian (all Ubuntu versions) its just "sudo apt-get install package-name" and its done for you or "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to goto the newest version of the distro.  

I do NOT like Unity either, I don't think many people do :)  Plasma is sweet for a desktop but I know it takes some power to utilize all the eye candy and thats why I originally asked.  If you decide to look around more sometime and still want a Window Manager / GUI instead of 100% command line  check out OpenBox.  It is SUPER lightweight but still has a lot of options.  

One other thing that is nice is you can use your window manager / GUI to get everything configured the way you want then go in and change a line or two in a configuration file and have the machine boot into console/terminal mode without all the GUI overhead stuff and only start your GUI when you need/want it. 

What are you using to setup your RAID 5? (Hardware, Soft, Linux?)