RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Suggestions for a Synology Box

PCEddie

I was talking to a co-worker today about his Plex server and during the conversation he mentioned buying a Synology NAS. He is looking at at 1513 but wonder if that is more than what he needs. He wants to backup his movies, files and backup his Apple computers to the Synology box. He would like to run Plex from the Synology box as well. His current setup is a external 3TB hard drive storing his movies, files, and backups. He is running his Plex server from a Mac Mini. Could he run Time Machine from a Synology box?

Thanks for any assistance.

Run time machine?  Any Synology is able to be a TM target, so I guess the answer is yes.  How much of the 3TB is he using?

The two bay devices don't give him much room to grow unless hard drives get beyond the 4TB we have today.  The 5 bay would be good for his needs.  If he goes with a 2 bay and is going to do a lot with the box I would suggest a "+" model which has a little more processor and more RAM to get it all done.

He is using most of the 3TB external hard drive. He is looking at a Synology DS1513. I have looked at the specs and think it is overkill for what he is trying to do. Is there another 4 or 5 bay Synology box that will store his backup movies, music, files, and backups? Can you run Plex from a Synology box?

Overkill? Futureproofing sounds better. If I wanted to buy a NAS today I'd turn an N54L into a synology box and get the overkill without paying for it.

There is a DS413j that's a home budget box.  It's a 4 bay.  There is a Plex app available for the Synology.  Disk Station Management, or DSM, has an "app store" feature called Package Manager.  From there you can install apps like the Plex app.

I created a compare list link here.  It will show you the 5 bay as well as all available 4 bay units.

Ikon, and you loose support too. Well you loose synology cusotmer service. There is plenty of support out there.

Just had a look at the DS1513+. It costs $850 to $900 Canadian. That's basically 2x the price of the G8 MicroServer. To be fair, the 1513+ comes with Disk Station Manager, and it is a pretty full featured, robust OS. If someone were to buy WSE2012 for a MicroServer the total cost would be pretty close. OTOH, $50 will get WHS2011 and that brings the total cost well below the 1513+.

Comparing the DS1513+ to the DS1513, I can't see getting the non + version. For very little more $ you get quite a bit more IMHO.

Also looked at the DS412+. It costs ~$650 Canadian, which is 50% more than the MicroServer. Adding WSE2012 would make the MicroServer more expensive, but WHS2011 would still keep the cost lower.

If your co-worker really has his heart set on a Syno box, I think the DS412+ is a decent mix of power and features. I would not personally go for one of the 1.xGHZ CPUs. My biggest complaint with Syno gear was poor CPU performance and too little RAM. My 2 cents...

Roll your own Synology... I'm running DSM 4.2-3211 x64 on a HP Proliant Microserver G7 N54L with 4GB of ram, TP-Link TG-3468 (Realtek) Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter and six Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM000 4 TB 5900rpm drives off the built-in SATA ports and the 1 eSATA.  Two drives are installed into a Nexus DoubleTwin rails and then put into the optical drive bay.  I am using the modified BIOS to unlock the ODD sata port to support a hard disk and a eSATA to SATA cable.  The only issue I had was that I could not use Port 5 (eSATA) in Storage Manager to create a volume until I modified the /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf to recognize the eSATA port as internal.

Here's what I changed for the following values:

esataportconfig="0x00000"
internalportcfg="0xff"

With that change I could create a 6-disk array.  I didn't use SHR because there's a slight performance hit compared to RAID-5 and I don't plan to grow the disks above 4TB each.

• Like 1