RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Q. what PSU will i need?

brooksy79

Hay guys

Just a quick question iv had my custom build pc with whs2011 for about a year now which i used as a media server + the odd backups.

Now as of today when i turned on the server at first it wouldnt turn on, checked the plugs ect.... nothing.... then ''POP'' my psu is now dead with a burnt smell in the psu :(

Any ideas what Wattage and brand is best for my build? No more than a £100 is my budget at the mo

PC Specs are:

Intel quad core 

8GB of ram

Gigabyte  GA-G41MT-S2PT

Nvida 9600GT G/Card

Blu Ray Drive

300GB HDD = O/S

500GB=Backup of o/s drive

3x 1TB=Movies

750GB=TV

120GB= Cloud Storage (i.e skydrive/dropbox/copy.com)

800w PSU=DEAD

PSU is a SUMVISION off ebay...

I think your problem is more the brand of PSU than the wattage. 800W seems plenty to me for that rig. I would get a PSU from name brand maker such as SeaSonic, PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Cooler Master, or Antec.

I agree with ikon.  The Sumvision are extremely low quality supplies and the older supplies distributed power differently and tended to not allocate 12V power for drives the same way they do now. Even though you had 800 watts, you could have been maxing out your 12v rail.   I would suggest a 600-700 Single Rail supply by the brands that ikon listed (barring Antec).

600-700w hey and i was thinking of a 1000w psu...

So i take it with psu's its not always an case to have  ''more the merrier'' when it come to watts.

600-700w hey and i was thinking of a 1000w psu...

So i take it with psu's its not always an case to have  ''more the merrier'' when it come to watts.

Absolutely not.

I am powering a core i5 2500, 6x2TB drives in a RAID10, two x 500GB Velociraptors in a RAID0, two x 256GB SSDs, and two 160GB 2.5 WD Blacks (RAID1) for my OS, as well as a water cooling system (Corsair) for the CPU and a few 120mm fans all off a Corsair 600w PSU. Even on startup I'm drawing < 180W, but as mentioned (especially with your addition of a GPU - which by far is the biggest continuous power drain) it is the ability of a good PSU to keep consistent power on the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails.

Typically you'll find gold rated PSUs to be comparatively more expensive the lower in wattage they are. It is much easier to make a 1000w PSU perform at 85% output than a 400W PSU. So unfortunately good lower watt PSUs are more expensive than one might think. But they are worth it, as they are the most important part when it comes to stability, and can outlive multiple systems if they are good.

I assume you also have an UPS - always use an UPS.

Edit:

P.S. Overbuying a PSU isn't terrible, but it is a waste of money by wasting power. Remember a PSU's rating is based on how they perform within the 40-80% usage window (approximately). So if you are using a 1000W PSU that is continuously putting out < 200W you're going to have a significant waste of power. 200W coming out of the PSU might be as much as a 400W draw at the wall on a typical 1000W PSU, while it will draw closer to 235W from a good 400W PSU. That extra 165W of power day in and day out can get pricey (not to mention it is heat, and that heat goes right into your system...)

• Like 1

I agree with ikon.  The Sumvision are extremely low quality supplies and the older supplies distributed power differently and tended to not allocate 12V power for drives the same way they do now. Even though you had 800 watts, you could have been maxing out your 12v rail.   I would suggest a 600-700 Single Rail supply by the brands that ikon listed (barring Antec).

LOL. I take it you did notice that Antec was at the end of the list :)

Absolutely not.

I am powering a core i5 2500, 6x2TB drives in a RAID10, two x 500GB Velociraptors in a RAID0, two x 256GB SSDs, and two 160GB 2.5 WD Blacks (RAID1) for my OS, as well as a water cooling system (Corsair) for the CPU and a few 120mm fans all off a Corsair 600w PSU. Even on startup I'm drawing < 180W, but as mentioned (especially with your addition of a GPU - which by far is the biggest continuous power drain) it is the ability of a good PSU to keep consistent power on the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails.

Typically you'll find gold rated PSUs to be comparatively more expensive the lower in wattage they are. It is much easier to make a 1000w PSU perform at 85% output than a 400W PSU. So unfortunately good lower watt PSUs are more expensive than one might think. But they are worth it, as they are the most important part when it comes to stability, and can outlive multiple systems if they are good.

I assume you also have an UPS - always use an UPS.

Edit:

P.S. Overbuying a PSU isn't terrible, but it is a waste of money by wasting power. Remember a PSU's rating is based on how they perform within the 40-80% usage window (approximately). So if you are using a 1000W PSU that is continuously putting out < 200W you're going to have a significant waste of power. 200W coming out of the PSU might be as much as a 400W draw at the wall on a typical 1000W PSU, while it will draw closer to 235W from a good 400W PSU. That extra 165W of power day in and day out can get pricey (not to mention it is heat, and that heat goes right into your system...)

....Dam nice set up and yes with the UPS :)

Time for a bit of home work then shopping tomorrow i think

Thanks for all your help guys

timekills brought up the other point I was going to make. Ideally, a PSU should be rated for about twice the power that it will typically being called on to deliver. That puts the power draw in the PSU's 'sweet spot'.

timekills brought up the other point I was going to make. Ideally, a PSU should be rated for about twice the power that it will typically being called on to deliver. That puts the power draw in the PSU's 'sweet spot'.

So should i get a 600-700W or something around 500W mark??

One thing it wont be is a cheap arse £20 job off ebay

oh and one more thing i have been noticing the room getting warm lately thought it was the the summer heat and the pc beeing on 24/7 ;)  lol now it make sense..