RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Creating & Testing a RAID10 with a HighPoint RocketRAID 2720

Joe_Miner

OK, this is only my 3rd attempt at creating a Video (actually there were many MANY more attempts that will never see the light of day :) ) -- I'm trying to show the creation of a RAID10 on a HighPoint RocketRAID 2720 on my GA-Z77X-UD5H using 4 Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001's then I measure the performance of that drive with CDM and ATTO.

Hope you enjoy the Video and the Test Results (don't know why the video isn't embedding itself -- fixed 8-19-2013 - it helps to read the instructions I guess :wacko: when you paste the line in to link to the youtube make sure it's not hyper linked):

The Video link is: youtube.com/watch?v=USCG9wmRb_c

UPDATE 8-19-2013: Sorry to change the links everyone -- I had accidentally left some semi-confidential data visible so I redid the video to blur out any potential confidential info (just another opportunity to learn more about Camtasia  :blink: )

This is also blogged about Here: http://homeservershow.com/performance-of-a-highpoint-rocketraid-2720-raid10-in-a-gigabyte-z77x-ud5h-with-four-seagate-st3000dm001s.html

Edited by Joe_Miner

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• timekills

• Joe_Miner

Outstanding!  I really like this and the performance was awesome.  I might have to give this a try for my VM setup.  I have an extra 2720 and a few extra drives.  Great job on the video and thanks for the experiment.

Outstanding!  I really like this and the performance was awesome.  I might have to give this a try for my VM setup.  I have an extra 2720 and a few extra drives.  Great job on the video and thanks for the experiment.

PCDoc: I really appreciate your comment!  Thank you very much!  Thanks for noticing that this was on my Hyper-V Server -- I had recently upgraded my PSU to 750W and had moved my Z77 from a Lian-Li PC-K9WX to a Lian-Li PC-A70F -- loving the box but I'd like to put a window in the side :)

I have been using a seperate Storage Server but I think with this RAID10 in the Z77 I'm going to move stuff that I test with over to the RAID10 -- the ~2GB file that I copied over was the same file folder I had used on the Storage Spaces Pool test.   The transfer rates are REALLY nice.

Let me know how it works out for you if you decided to give it a try!

Nice Job! John!

What are you using for screen capture software?

VinylFreak: Thank you so much for your comment!  I'm using Camtasia 8.1 -- I had originally gotten Camtasia to screen capture Video Hangouts with my Grandson -- I'm finding Camtasia has a lot of capabilities that I'm just scratching the surface -- Camtasia has a Power Point Add-In that is pretty cool -- I just need a lot more practice :)  Can't wait to see you at the #BestMeetUpEver

Will do.  Have to get a couple of extra drives first as I do not want to use my spares set aside for my two servers.  I think I am going to look for a deal on some 3-4T and put 4 of them in a RAID 10 for some VM work.  For some reason I never thought of using RAID 10 before as I was mainly focused on maximizing capacity.  Since I have that covered pretty well, time to look something like this for VM work.  Will keep you posted.

So...how about a speed test comparo with that 4 x Velociraptor RAID 0  you have in there? I want to see that baby burn.

So...how about a speed test comparo with that 4 x Velociraptor RAID 0  you have in there? I want to see that baby burn.

Here you go:

gallery_1229_26_32662.jpg

I have some other tests over at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3583-drive-performance-on-n40l-microserver/page-2 

Interestingly, I thought, was when I ran 4 ST3000DM001's in RAID10 on a RR2720 in a N40L MicroServer I got essentially the same performance with the RR2720 on the N40L and the RR2720 on the Z77 with the i7-3770:

clip_image028.jpg

That is surprising, although I guess it shows there isn't that much computational overhead on a RAID10. No parity, so the CPU offload shouldn't be high.

That is surprising, although I guess it shows there isn't that much computational overhead on a RAID10. No parity, so the CPU offload shouldn't be high.

Good point -- I did see a difference is Software RAID0's Transfer Rates when going from the N40L/N54L with the same HDD's to the Z77 but those differences could also be due to the SATA chipsets (speculation alert!!)

Edited by Joe_Miner

OK, you got me inspired, I just ordered 3 Samsung EVO today and will try them in a RAID 0 using the 3 drives, then will move one off to another destination and just raid the 2 250 gig EVO.  Stay Tuned.