RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
stangri

serial console access on microserver pre-gen8

direktorn

Your NL54 is in a far place or inaccessible physically?

Vmware is rock solid on the HP Microserver (I have both the NL40 and NL54 versions) in a vmware cluster at home running "home-critical" services like MS Exchange, Lync, Sharepoint, Firewall, linux etc.) You always have remote-shell access with PowerShell or SSH from within ESX or vShere.

Serial/Console output/redirect I do not think is supported without iLO card, they are however not expensive on ebay. 

ikon

You have a cluster at home, and you're running Exchange, Lync, and SharePoint? Wow. I presume you work on them in your job? It seems like a lot of admin work for a home LAN.

stangri

Cost around $200 new, but they go on ebay for $50-60 all the time

I got one a while back but its only 10Mb/s and pretty slow, works okay for seeing the BIOS though

Can you recommend a particular model/brand? The ebay is flooded with cheap dongles which require big KVM switch and cannot be used on their own afaik.

e4Bkt

Can you recommend a particular model/brand? The ebay is flooded with cheap dongles which require big KVM switch and cannot be used on their own afaik.

I've never used one, but understand that people like this thing:

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/spiderduo.html

I think the same unit might be available under several different names.

direktorn

You have a cluster at home, and you're running Exchange, Lync, and SharePoint? Wow. I presume you work on them in your job? It seems like a lot of admin work for a home LAN.

Not really, once they are setup the maintenance is limited, just make sure backups run :) - I work as an  IT-consultant and rarely have time to play with new stuff at work. http://www.direktorn.com/my-first-blog-entry-but-not-the-first-service-created/

stangri

I've never used one, but understand that people like this thing:

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/spiderduo.html

I think the same unit might be available under several different names.

I haven't found any alternative names by googling, so if you know any which might be cheaper than the original lantronix brand, I'd be grateful if you reply.

e4Bkt

I don't know of any clones offhand.

I might have been confusing the Lantronix Spider with this thing (a totally different animal) when I said that. I thought I'd seen clones, but can't substantiate that claim.

All KVM-over-IP boxes are terrible in my opinion. You might be able to solve this problem for less than the cost of the RAC (perhaps with an ebay KVM), but you'll be opening a new can of sucky worms.

The best answer is serial console redirection, which the Microserver doesn't seem to offer.

stangri

Thanks for your reply, that's what I've been afraid of. :(

There are some cheap-ish KVM switches on ebay and CIMs for them can be had for next to nothing, but I really don't want some bulky KVM switch to take up space/electricity for something I may use once in a blue moon. 

I guess unless I can score a lantronix spider for $40-$50, I'll have to carry the burden of plugging in the monitor/keyboard whenever I need the access to BIOS/ESXI boot screen on my microserver.

Shame about serial redirect tho. :( 

ikon

The best answer is serial console redirection, which the Microserver doesn't seem to offer.

LOL, that brings back memories. I haven't used it since my days with an Osborne 1 and KayPro II :)