RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
stangri

serial console access on microserver pre-gen8

FiLiNuX

Hi Stangri,

I am confused by what you mean serial console access to your ss4200 (the Intel one correct?).  I remember reading about them online at one time and even setting one up in a friend of a friends home network but I don't recall a DE9/DB9 port of any kind on the one I saw / ones I read about.  Is this some kind of external add on / converter / mod / im going to stop making slashes now / home brew setup to be used with a term like putty or something?  At the time they were released common serial ports were long gone for equipment like it.  

The easiest thing I can think of (and I am always thinking on a budget now a days :) is a pci-e 1x serial port card.  I would think (from the actual hardware required to make one) they would be cheap.  I am off to look!! 

ikon

I don't think he's looking to add a serial port to his server. I think he's looking for a way to get remote access to the system, but even during reboots; hence, the term "console access".

FiLiNuX

Sorry,

As he made reference to "serial console access" and "serial port leads" I thought he was wanting to gain console access via a serial port like he (probably) did on his ss4200 by adding on a DE9 serial port to it. 

e4Bkt

SS4200 has a knockout for a DE-9 connector, and a header on the motherboard.

It's not clear whether the SS4200's serial port only allows use of the port to the running OS, or whether it can do BIOS-level redirection to the serial port (an awesome, but hard to find feature).

On the microserver, the options are:

• Install a serial port PCI-E card. This won't be useful until the OS loads, but that might be what the OP wants.
  • Install the HP remote access card (careful about that IPMI vulnerability). This option allows pre-boot and power-off management.
  • Use an external KVM-over-IP like the Lantronix Spider.

stangri

SS4200 has a knockout for a DE-9 connector, and a header on the motherboard.

It's not clear whether the SS4200's serial port only allows use of the port to the running OS, or whether it can do BIOS-level redirection to the serial port (an awesome, but hard to find feature).

There's a BIOS setting for BIOS-level redirection (and different options wherever to redirect past bootloader) which I've used a lot on SS4200.

On the microserver, the options are:

• Install a serial port PCI-E card. This won't be useful until the OS loads, but that might be what the OP wants.
  • Install the HP remote access card (careful about that IPMI vulnerability). This option allows pre-boot and power-off management.
  • Use an external KVM-over-IP like the Lantronix Spider.

Oh, that's a bummer, I was so hopeful I could just get a $5-$10 serial port card and plug it in and it would work the same way as ss4200. :(

BTW, this document on N54L refers to the serial redirect setting in BIOS on page 72 http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02473845/c02473845.pdf

PS. I've read horror stories on the lack of stability of Microserver RAC (non-iLO, pre-gen8 of course) and it's out of my budget. If it's more than $10 I'll live thru the inconvenience of temporarily plugging a monitor and keyboard if need be.

Edited by stangri

ikon

In my basement closet where I keep my WHS2011 server and Untangle box, I have 1 monitor, KB, and mouse that I switch between them when needed. It doesn't happen often so the inconvenience of replugging is minimal.

e4Bkt

BTW, this document on N54L refers to the serial redirect setting in BIOS on page 72 http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02473845/c02473845.pdf

So it does! Interesting. I just poked around in my N54L (BIOS 041 from 7/29/2011) and didn't see such an option.

Of course I don't think I have a serial port present here anyway. Maybe the option would appear if a serial port were installed? I kinda doubt it...

ikon

Of course I don't think I have a serial port present here anyway. Maybe the option would appear if a serial port were installed? I kinda doubt it...

Yeah, I doubt it too. Haven't seen a BIOS that alters what you see based on what's installed in the system. Well, except for things like which HDDs it detected -- but the SATA port(s) are listed even if an HDD isn't detected.

FiLiNuX

Not everything a BIOS can/does do is shown as a option or setting.  There may be a additional prompt @ boot or something if a serial port or RAC card is detected.  

ikon

True, but those extra prompts are normally to take you into the BIOS of the add-in card, like many RAID cards do -- they're not really part of the BIOS per se.