RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
stangri

serial console access on microserver pre-gen8

stangri

I'm so used to having a serial console access to my headless SS4200, I miss it on my N54L. I don't need all the functionality (and the price-tag attached) of the Remote Access Card especially hearing that the remote media didn't work for one poster and especially now that I've got ESXI installed -- I just need to have a cheap backup way of controlling N54L remotely if I need to.

As far as I can see there're no serial port leads on the motherboard. Are there any cheap (around $10) alternatives for accomplishing what I need?

ikon

Are you just looking for remote access to the OS, or are you looking for remote access to the BIOS and such?

Pancakes

Ethernet KVM would do it

ikon

Aren't Ethernet KVMs thousands of $? BTW, I mean KVM, not a VGA to Ethernet converter.

Pancakes

Aren't Ethernet KVMs thousands of $? BTW, I mean KVM, not a VGA to Ethernet converter.

Cost around $200 new, but they go on ebay for $50-60 all the time

I got one a while back but its only 10Mb/s and pretty slow, works okay for seeing the BIOS though

Edited by Pancakes

ikon

That sounds like a VGA to Ethernet converter, something that only sends video to a remote display. Are you sure it does keyboard and mouse?

Pancakes

That sounds like a VGA to Ethernet converter, something that only sends video to a remote display. Are you sure it does keyboard and mouse?

Yeah but the one I have is only PS2, so pretty useless for my microserver. It did well on my old Server/PC/Everything else I had before Edited by Pancakes

ikon

I'm a little confused. You have a KVM that connects to the server using PS2 connectors and transmits over Ethernet?