RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

serial console access on microserver pre-gen8

stangri

I'm so used to having a serial console access to my headless SS4200, I miss it on my N54L. I don't need all the functionality (and the price-tag attached) of the Remote Access Card especially hearing that the remote media didn't work for one poster and especially now that I've got ESXI installed -- I just need to have a cheap backup way of controlling N54L remotely if I need to.

As far as I can see there're no serial port leads on the motherboard. Are there any cheap (around $10) alternatives for accomplishing what I need?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Pancakes

• stangri

• e4Bkt

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't Ethernet KVMs thousands of $? BTW, I mean KVM, not a VGA to Ethernet converter.

Cost around $200 new, but they go on ebay for $50-60 all the time

I got one a while back but its only 10Mb/s and pretty slow, works okay for seeing the BIOS though

Edited by Pancakes

That sounds like a VGA to Ethernet converter, something that only sends video to a remote display. Are you sure it does keyboard and mouse?

That sounds like a VGA to Ethernet converter, something that only sends video to a remote display. Are you sure it does keyboard and mouse?

Yeah but the one I have is only PS2, so pretty useless for my microserver. It did well on my old Server/PC/Everything else I had before Edited by Pancakes