RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
burkhardi

How quiet is your HP MS G8?

burkhardi

Trying to figure out if I can make my box any quieter at idle.

When in the provisioning or the B120i setup screen during initial boot, the box is shockingly quiet, and when it's running it's pretty quiet too.

The only issue I have, is when it's at idle and the monitor is in sleep mode and there is no demand on the box, it's not any quieter.

I would love to have it as quiet as it is when in the HP Intelligent Provisioning mode/setup: I naively think the load should be no worse.

when doing nothing and the screen in sleep, then when its in provisioning mode. But I do know that is sans GUI, it's uses .05-.07%of the CPU and about 0.4GiB of RAM when just sitting there in the main KDE GUI screen.

Any ideas; what is everyone else seeing?

It's running Kubuntu 12.04 LTS...

Regards, Matt

Edit: Temp is 46.4F [Temperature] and 46.9F [temp1]

Edited by burkhardi

schoondoggy

In the bios there are three different settings for fan speed. From what I have read in other forums this only works if you are using the B120i. I have not found any other settings for fan control.

ikon

46.4F ?? Are you sure? That's way below room temp. Perhaps it's 46.4C?

burkhardi

46.4F ?? Are you sure? That's way below room temp. Perhaps it's 46.4C?

that is what I thought too, but that would be 115F then (which makes sence a little more too). Yea, it's odd, that is lower then room. Room is 75F and I guess when you add wind chill? But still, that is LOW. I double checked, now that was from the temp widget too, perhaps it's off?

In the bios there are three different settings for fan speed. From what I have read in other forums this only works if you are using the B120i. I have not found any other settings for fan control.

Yes, I just saw the post on the AVS form about that as well. So I am using the B120i, but the RIAD is done via software and it's RAID5. So I guess they mean you need to control the RAID from the B120i, which only gives you RAID0,1 & 10 correct?

Speaking of the B120i, that is normally a card, but it looks like on the MS G8 its build in to the MoBo and it's just a chipset? That would explain why you can't use the FBWC module with the B120i then, there is no slot for it since it's not a stand alone card. Is that what you are seeing/understand?

Lastly, is the B120i a true RAID controller or a software controller? After reading the specs on the B120i  ( see note below. ) and seeing what it does in the BOIS, it looks like it's not a hardware RAID controller, but a software or hybrid. How about the P222,. I assume that is a true blue hardware RAID controller? Or is the B120i always integrated, but in some instances, there are provisions for the FWBC? I assume both are true, but i am still pretty green in regards to all this and don't want to assume anything...

Thanks, Matt

NOTE:

HP Dynamic Smart Array is a RAID solution combining a storage host bus adapter (HBA) and proprietary software components. Eliminating most of the hardware RAID controller components and relocating advanced RAID algorithms from a hardware-based controller into device driver software lowers the total solution cost, while still maintaining comparable RAID protection and full compatibility with Smart Array disk format, configuration utilities, and management/monitoring software

ikon

I agree; from that description the B120i is not a true RAID controller. Like you said, it's a hybrid solution -- I call it firmware RAID.  I personally classify RAID in 3 ways: hardware, firmware, and software. I'm thinking of adding another classification: pooling RAID, because I'm thinking products like DrivePool, DriveBender, flexRAID, and PoolHD are enough different from other software RAID products that they deserve their own class.

schoondoggy

There are three modes the onboard storage controller can be;

legacy SATA

AHCI SATA

B120i

If you are running software RAID, I am guessing you are not running the B120i. You can check by going into the BIOS.

The B120i will only support RAID 0-1-10. It is not available as a separate card.

The B120i is based on the same software/firmware as the other Smart Array cntrollers, so it is compatable. You a move RAID sets from a B120i to a P212. On some HP servers with a B120i they do include the socket for the FWBC module. On the MS G8 I think thy needed to save money.

I would agree with ikon that there are three types of RAID, but the B120i is a true RAID controller.

ikon

Eliminating most of the hardware RAID controller components and relocating advanced RAID algorithms from a hardware-based controller into device driver software... 

For me, this means it is not true Hardware RAID. My own definition of Hardware RAID requires all of the algorithms be on the card.

schoondoggy

I did not say it was a hardware raid controller. The OP asked if it was a true RAID controller.

burkhardi

I did not say it was a hardware raid controller. The OP asked if it was a true RAID controller.

Sorry about that, I miss spoke myself not knowing, understanding or thinking through what term(s) to use.

When I said "true RAID controller" I meant (in my mind) hardware RAID controller, but that is not what I said in hind sight.

I'll get there..

ikon

Sorry schoondoggy, that wasn't directed at your post; it was just a clarification of my earlier post where I said 'true RAID' instead of 'true Hardware RAID' like I should have.