RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
KiwiGlen

Which Wireless Router to get?

KiwiGlen

Hi,

I think my current wireless router is about to die, I keep having to reboot it every 2-3 days lately.  And anyway I think its time for some new tech.

I'm currently using a D-Link DSL-2740B which is a ADSL modem and Wireless Router in one, but since I got it I put a pfSense box and have a separate ADSL modem.  I've got some devices that can do 5ghz so at dual band router would be best and one that can do guest networks (not sure how I would set that up with my pfSense box but one problem at a time).

So what would people recommend?  

Glen

FiLiNuX

If you are going to be running PFSense as your router have you considered getting a stand alone access point or do you actually need a router for your wireless config.  

I know one thing I always look for when buying SOHO networking equipment is if it can be upgraded to a 3rd party firmware for extra stability & functionality down the road.  

• Like 1

KiwiGlen

I guess I only really need an access point.

ikon

I agree with FiliNuX, something that can run 3rd party firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato, is highly desirable.

Be aware, units sold as Access Points are often more expensive than routers and, basically, they're routers with the routing part disabled. If you don't find an Access Point cheaper than a router, just get the router and don't use the WAN port.

schoondoggy

You should look for a dual radio concurrent WAP, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz running simultaneous. I run a EAP600, it is a ceiling mount covers my whole house.

pcdoc

I also have done the same thing using a D-Link router with DHCP disabled and effectively making this an access point.  Work great as just an AP.  Just another option.  The EAP600 is probably a better unit and is wall mountable but just wanted to offer another suggestion.

http://thedocsworld.net/d-link-cloud-router-2000-great-hardware-but-bad-software/

ikon

Given the recent security risk exposures, and the recommendation from the person who revealed the vulnerabilities to use DD-WRT or Tomato, I think I would want to get a router that can run one or both of those.

Michael Brown

I love the RT-N66U as well.

FiLiNuX

Whats people's thoughts about AC while looking for a new router now?  

I know the RT-N66U is a awesome router.  It is (was?) Maximum PC's best of  after knocking off my line of routers long time reign, but it is pretty pricey.  I would think when paying the cost of the RT-N66U you would just want to pay a little bit more and get the newest model & newest standard (or standard to be :)

Edited by FiLiNuX