RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

HP Systems Insight Manager software and WHS 2011 on Microserver?

gstarks

For the physical Smart Array cards, the driver included in the OS media should be fine (although there may be a newer one on hp.com).   You will have to look under a different server since i don't think we officially supported the P-series cards in the G7 MicroServers. 

Maybe somebody else here is willing to do a few things on a test system and post the event IDs...   I'm not sure where they are documented, but they should all come from the same event source.

Program-wise, i know several folks who use Spiceworks.  I think you can get pretty granular on the custom alerts there.

ikon

gstarks, just wondering, are people at HP surprised at all at the enthusiast interest in the MicroServers? Do/Are they taking that interest into account when deciding what features and capabilities should be included in a new model? Are they looking to the community for future ideas?

gstarks

gstarks, just wondering, are people at HP surprised at all at the enthusiast interest in the MicroServers? Do/Are they taking that interest into account when deciding what features and capabilities should be included in a new model? Are they looking to the community for future ideas?

Some were surprised back with the first MicroServer in 2010.  But myself and the others who were involved in driving the Gen8 features were/are VERY aware of the enthusiast interest and use cases.  It's an important demographic.  Yes, we are absolutely always looking for future ideas, so please keep them coming.

I want to be careful to respect the venue and not commercialize your forums here, so I'll defer to the moderators on the best approach, but maybe start a topic called "HP MicroServer wish list"... idk...

g725s

So a tool that can alert/email on a custom set of Windows event log events would be the way to go.

Back to this again as I am curious.  Would I need to install HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service to do as your suggesting?    And if so, does the HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service install as a GUI program or is it just an application that runs in the background?

As stated on the download page:

"The HP Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service provides event

notification to the Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition system event log and

the HP ProLiant Integrated Management Log for systems using the HP

Smart Array SAS/SATA controller driver."

fredaroony

For the G7 MicroServer, You will NOT get much of the HPSIM environment up and running. The issue is that the N36L/N40L/N54L servers are not the same base "ProLiant" management platform, so you can't run the Insight Management Agents, which is required to talk to SIM or SMH. However, you DO still get good detailed events from the Smart Array driver for the P410/P212 (at least in Windows). So a tool that can alert/email on a custom set of Windows event log events would be the way to go.

This changes with the Gen8, which can run the normal HP management stack. There is a cool little-known tool called the "event notifier" that you will find under one of the "HP" menus on the start menu that will email upon a user-defined set of management events. Also with Gen8 servers, with the iLO Essentials or iLO Advanced licenses, you can get email alerting directly from iLO.

I wish you could choose which alerts you get from the iLo. I don't have the second NIC plugged in so get an email every boot to tell me it's down.

g725s

I'm getting a bit frustrated with my little HP N40L.  I tried the method described in the AVForums article I linked above.  Problem was some of those links did not work now so I tried downloads that I thought might be similar.  The version of HP SMH that the article is using must be different than the version that is out now, as the Properties window did not have the same options at all so I could not proceed from that point.  And the ACU did not show up in the version of HP SMH that I installed.

Anyway, it frustrates me that HP a company that for sure got a lot of profit from home server enthusiasts with the Microserver.  Probably more than with any other market does not support them really.  As many have used WHS 2011 and put in HP RAID controllers and such.  But have very little support from HP.  But I've been frustrated with other HP products in the past as I felt they have done similar, one being a printer I bought at the same time XP was released.  It took them two years to get software out for XP on that printer.

What use is it to have a controller card that cannot inform you if a drive fails?  I can't babysit my little server 27/7.

What to do?  Should have built my own maybe?

schoondoggy

I know it can be frustrating, I should have some time later this week to test some things. This type of event notification was my next project to work on.

g725s

Because I messed with a bunch of different HP applications trying to get this going the last few days. I've reinstalled WHS2011 fresh.

As my P410 came shipped with version 6 firmware (I believe this is latest). My next test is to install the HP P410 driver (I'm pretty sure you need HP driver over WHS version for HP Events Notification Service to work), and then HP Events Notification Service, and HP Array Configuration Utility.

Then just try a program like Spiceworks Network Monitor or PRTG Network Monitor and see if I can get that to email me notifications. I will try by just pulling a drive out.

Edited by g725s

g725s

I should have some time later this week to test some things. This type of event notification was my next project to work on.

On a fresh updated install of WHS2011 I...

Installed the latest P410 firmware , version 6 ,  cp020067.exe , and cp020067.md5

Installed the latest P410 Driver , version 6.26.0.64 ,  cp020547.exe

Installed SAS/SATA Events Notification Service , version , 6.32.0.64 , cp020548.exe

Installed Array Configuration Utility , version 9.40.12.0 , cp020336.exe

Installed PRTG (free 10 sensor version) and setup a "P410 Smart Array" sensor and email notification mostly as described in post #2 of this thread at AVForum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/16859573-post2.html

Initially I could not get the WHS2011-installed Internet Explorer 10 to work with PRTG and did not have the patience to figure it out why it was restricting me after trying for too long.  So I installed Chrome on my Microserver and got that working with PRTG.

After setting up PRTG I can see events for the "P410 Smart Array" sensor I setup (if I make a change to a logical drive for instance using the ACU), but for some reason I am not sending out emails notifications.  And I am pretty sure I've set that up correctly.

I also notice in the WHS 2011 Windows Event Log Viewer is showing the Cissesrv events. So I'd have to say that the HP Events Notification Service I installed

appears to be working in conjunction with the WHS2001 Windows Event Log.

Here is a good YouTube talking about the Events Notification Service:

So I think I could be close to making this work.  I feel I just need to figure out why I'm not sending out email notifications with PRTG.

Edited by g725s