RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

HP Systems Insight Manager software and WHS 2011 on Microserver?

g725s

Has anyone tried the HP Systems Insight Manager software on their MicroServer with WHS 2011?

Having installed a P410 controller card in my N40L I was wondering about notification when a drive failure occurred.  In the P410 QuickSpecs sheet it talks about this HP Systems Insight Manager software to monitor your system and notify you of drive failure, among other things.

Here is a link to the HP Systems Insight manager page where you can find links to its own specs.  It does not say it runs on WHS 2011 specifically.

g725s

Sorry for all the links in separate posts but I found a thread over at AVforums that might be of interest here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1624921-guide-hp-proliant-microserver-p410-smart-array-controller.html

It talks about using HP Systems Manangement Homepage (HP SMH) for the P410 controller.  I have to look into this more, but wanted to post it as a reference.

Maybe this software is better for single server applications.

Edited by g725s

schoondoggy

Don't be sorry, it's good information.

ikon

Just thought I'd mention that it is possible to edit your posts, rather have to create new ones.

g725s

Ikon, After awhile the "Edit" feature disappears.

My hopeful plan is to put my MicroServer out of sight and somewhat out of mind.  Sure would be nice to have notification of systems changes, drive failures and such.  Not knowing that a drive has failed could mean loss of the whole array if the issue was not dealt with quickly.  

That post over at AVforum is interesting as a means to get notification.  Just don't like the idea of having to install a third party software like PRTG.  Will have to look into it more though.  In that same thread the HP SMH seems useless for what I would like.  As the poster thinks it is a prerequisite to install HP ACU, which it is not.

But in the P410 manual and QuickSpecs sheet it mentions HP SIM as a means to get notification.  But reading through it's literature it seems geared toward larger networks with multiple servers.  It might be possible to install it on a single server running WHS 2011.  I'm just not finding anyone posting detailed info of it on a MicroServer running WHS 2011. 

There was one guy who posted on another forum that he had HP SIM running on a WHS 2011 MicroServer but he did not go into detail.  His issue was that HP SIM ran fine on his WHS 2011 but when installed instead Server 2008R2 that is when his problem started.

Edited by g725s

ikon

Looks like maybe you're about to become a pioneer ;)

g725s

HP SIM looks fairly involved. It really seems tailored to a larger multiple server environment. As nobody here on these forums has even mentioned it before.

I did download the HP SIM zip and there are a ton of .exe applications. This is going to take a fair bit of study, time that I really don't have much of right now. And I'm not finding much on the web as far as tutorials go.

gstarks

For the G7 MicroServer, You will NOT get much of the HPSIM environment up and running. The issue is that the N36L/N40L/N54L servers are not the same base "ProLiant" management platform, so you can't run the Insight Management Agents, which is required to talk to SIM or SMH. However, you DO still get good detailed events from the Smart Array driver for the P410/P212 (at least in Windows). So a tool that can alert/email on a custom set of Windows event log events would be the way to go.

This changes with the Gen8, which can run the normal HP management stack. There is a cool little-known tool called the "event notifier" that you will find under one of the "HP" menus on the start menu that will email upon a user-defined set of management events. Also with Gen8 servers, with the iLO Essentials or iLO Advanced licenses, you can get email alerting directly from iLO.

Edited by gstarks
  • Like 2

g725s

So a tool that can alert/email on a custom set of Windows event log events would be the way to go.

So maybe a program like PRTG Network Monitor outlined in the AVForums topic I liked above is the way to go with an N40L running WHS 2011. I'm probably going to give that setup a try.

Do you know of other programs might be good to consider for this?

And the controller driver, would it have to be the one off the HP website over the one WHS 2011 installs?

Edited by g725s