RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Blogging Platforms

jcollison

I use the free version at Wordpress.com and I am not sure I would call it crap.  Limiting yes, crap no.  It does exactly what I need it to do at the right price.  

jcollison

Jim,

So, according to that video you can't export your blog. Not to sound too sarcastic, but isn't that a bit limiting in a discussion about best blogging platforms? 

:P

I am not sure what you are referring to?  In the video, he clearly has a zip file that contains the contents of the blog.  Later, they show you importing it back into a hosted weebly site, but none the less, the data can be exported.

Might be easier just to use the import features in WP that allow you to import an RSS feed.  Fields get a little wacky, but it does look doable.

timekills

I am not sure what you are referring to?  In the video, he clearly has a zip file that contains the contents of the blog.  Later, they show you importing it back into a hosted weebly site, but none the less, the data can be exported.

Might be easier just to use the import features in WP that allow you to import an RSS feed.  Fields get a little wacky, but it does look doable.

Jim,

In the video he shows that you can't export special features (to be expected, as they are back-end driven) such as the photo slideshow. He also mentions in then beginning and shows in the end that the actual blog content isn't exported correctly. Perhaps I'm missing something (likely) but it appears that the blog content itself can not be exported and easily reproduced. Certainly the content is there - it is just a zip file after all - but it looks as if it would take significant effort to rebuild the site after exporting. Wordpress allows a cut and paste rebuild, which doesn't appear to be the case with Weebly.

timekills

Jim - I fully expect you to show up at a meetup with a headband and the Drobo with $ hanging around your neck one of these times. A lot more functional than a clock necklace...

250px-Flavor-flav.jpg

JayBee

I use the free version at Wordpress.com and I am not sure I would call it crap.  Limiting yes, crap no.  It does exactly what I need it to do at the right price.  

Depends how much you value ownership of your content and how happy you are letting wordpress.com monetize you for their benefit.  ;)

Edited by JayBee