RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Blogging Platforms

awraynor

I recently started my own blog and many of the platforms were as we say "suboptimal" for a non-coder.

HowToGeek has published a short article summarizing many of the platforms. I was aware of most of 

them, but a few new ones were listed.

What a great topic for a future meetup since so many of the members here have such great experience 

that they could share with the newer tech user.

http://bit.ly/1acghsI

jcollison

Maybe that is what I should do for one of my sessions.  Been doing a lot more blogging these days than even back up!

awraynor

Weebly.com has been working very well for me, but I can already see it's limitations.

SquareSpace just didn't work.

Blogger.com was free and you get what you pay for. 

Wix.com tries to do too much.

I know WordPress is what everyone seems to use so maybe you could highlight that platform.

And if you know how to move all my posts from Weebly to WordPress, brownie points for you.

pcdoc

Great topic.  I have not tried Weebly but have tried the others.  As long as you keep you posts locally you can upload them almost anywhere later.  As long you start somewhere.

awraynor

@jcollison. Great site. My blog is obviously a non-profit hobby, but I realize I need to decide

which platform I am going stick with. Weebly is drag and drop easy and I was up and 

running in no time. 

Going to look at this site and work on a few main things. 

1. Make an actual home page that is interesting.
  2. Think the home page may be a list of current articles like many tech blogs.
  3. Get the organization of pages straight.

So far only have a few articles, but Weebly makes it very easy to do most things so far.

JayBee

Wordpress is the best if all you care about is simple blogging with a huge variety of templates. Shameless plug but you can see my wordpress site in my sig, it's a simple layout and 9 times out of 10 simple is the best.

timekills

Jim,

So, according to that video you can't export your blog. Not to sound too sarcastic, but isn't that a bit limiting in a discussion about best blogging platforms? 

:P

I've made some fairly high-speed blog with Wordpress. And you can do the same thing with Wordpress. Just download the whole wordpress directory, upload to new server, point you base index.html file to the Wordpress startpage and voila. You can do all the work on your home PC and then upload when done if you wish.

Be careful in choosing templates however. I'd recommend staying away from third party templates (i.e. those not hosted by or recommended by Wordpress.) Some of them have some built in backdoors. Caveat emptor.

awraynor

@JayBee. Like the format of your blog. It is very simple and clean.

Want mine to just be a chronological post of articles, but did 

want to break it down by criteria such as:  PC, Mac, Mobile, Web.

Otherwise I probably have just over a dozen posts. Will see quickly

what I can do with Weebly, it is super simple and meets  most of my

needs. Otherwise, WordPress does seem the way to go.

JayBee

@JayBee. Like the format of your blog. It is very simple and clean.

Want mine to just be a chronological post of articles, but did 

want to break it down by criteria such as:  PC, Mac, Mobile, Web.

Otherwise I probably have just over a dozen posts. Will see quickly

what I can do with Weebly, it is super simple and meets  most of my

needs. Otherwise, WordPress does seem the way to go.

Weebly is a good starting point but I'd still suggest wordpress if you have your own hosting (wordpress.com is too limiting, expensive and crap). Have you looked at joomla?