RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vhymetoo

HP MicroServer Gen8 Build - E3-1230V2, 16GB RAM, M1015 HBA, SSD, ESXi

g0dzilla

I collect the same server. already ordered a processor and memory.

I have a question about the esxi and m1015 - write that there is a problem with speed because the controller does not support the cache? (http://www.google.com/ # fp = 4478744a028f0a23 & q = esxi + m1015 + slow) and there is no problem on hyper-v?

Is there an alternative way of m1015 or increase the speed of access to RAID?

Or the problem is no longer relevant for the latest version of ESXi?

Sorry for my English - google translate =)

vhymetoo

@Adster - ill post pics with the HBA and SATA power cable

@g0dzilla, open a seperate thread for that question. That being said I am willing to guess that applies because of RAIDed drives through the M1015- and the slow performance is to be expected when offloading writing to M1015 RAID. Dont use RAID on the M1015 and I think you will be fine. But not sure havent tested. Good/fast HARDWARE RAID IS EXPENSIVE - the M1015 is best used as a Host bus adapter (HBA) vs a "raid controller". Just my thoughts.

-v

vhymetoo

Got some pics?

qMeqfzAh.jpg

zfKnTgqh.jpg

rc8UqHXh.jpg

rR2uH9nh.jpg

dFbEuZ8h.jpg

vhymetoo

Uber quiet (set it next to my other top end *basically silent* server - its quieter) ..... 6% fan speed with ESXi installed and running.....

will load up some VMs tonight most likely

Edited by vhymetoo

vhymetoo

Had to create a RAID0 for the SSD on Port 1 of the B120i controller. Fan speeds are still acceptable - 6-10%. Datastore created and ball is rolling very smoothly

About iLO4 limitations and licensing - Its not the best but you get 40 seconds of remote console time outside of BIOS/POST. During BIOS/POST/RAID config you get unlimited time with remote console. I still think its BS that the Remote console is not just always enabled feature but at least have this.

-v

ikon

I agree about the licencing. I hate that type of pricing structure: it's artificial. Things should be priced for what they cost to make, plus a reasonable profit, not for what they can milk it for.

mrmellypants

Hi vhymetoo,

Can you tell me how many VM's you have loaded ? what they are and the performance etc, just a rough guide would be great, are they really responsive etc.

Thanks for sharing  :rolleyes:

Thank you

vhymetoo

@mrmellypants: No. Everything works very smoothly (E3-1230 V2 is strong CPU) but not going to answer your question cause no time or energy. Google E3-1230 V2 for performance metrics of that CPU.

Final Configuration:

========================================

HP MicroServer Gen 8: $400

CPU: Intel E3-1230 v2 - $235 (would consider the E2-1265L here for possible performance increase?)

RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
- $158 (32GB would be nice here, unknown if would work, costs something like $500 today which is a $200 cost premium over two 16GB kits).

ESXi Boot stick: - ADATA DashDrive Elite UE700 32GB USB 3.0 - $40

Datastore SSD: Intel 520 Cherryville 2.5" 240GB - $260

HBA: IBM M1015 in IT Mode (bad choice here) - ~$100 (Would suggest trying the LSI 9207-4i4e)

Power converter: (thanks adster) Dell Floppy FDD to Sata Power Converter Cable - ~$7

SFF-8087 Breakout Cable: 3ware (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable - $20

Total: ~$1220 (without disks) - would say budget closer to $1400 with the LSI 9207-4i4e vs the M1015

Disks: Seagate HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB Cache @ $180 - 4 disks come to $720

========================================

Wiring Side:

--SSD hooked up to M1015 HBA. Used as ESXi datastore. This is a rather stupid waste of the M1015 and more importantly waste of the PCIe port. I would venture to say the LSI 9207-4i4e is better as it could be used to provide 4 internal HDD capability and LATER ON you could get an additional drive tower that plugs in via a SFF-8088? cable to expand your HP Microserver Gen8 to an 8 HDD "beast" if you really wanted to. Note: Had multiple issues passing through HBA card on this machine (as did others).

--Front bays hooked up to onboard SFF-8087 connector. Running onboard controller as SATA AHCI which looks like Intel Cougar Point 6 port SATA controller. Passed through to VM.

--Due to not using B120i onboard controller, increases fan speeds to 30-40% or so - acceptable as running non-spec higher clock/wattage CPU. Not extremely load, not extremely quiet but I could see it in a general space

Software Side:

--ESXi 5.1 U1 (HP custom images, not the stock VMware images) - NOTE: ESXi 5.5 broke all passthrough capability for me.

--USB 3 ports are duds with ESXi - 5.1 doesn't support the onboard USB controller. ehh whatever. Run a 2012 VM with xHCI USB controller added and USB 2/3 devices plugged into a physical USB 2 port (ie the front ports) provide ~20-35MB speed - Better than the 8.5MB when using ECHI software controller - acceptable for occasional transfers.

Issues encountered (mostly ESXi specifc):

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6063-m1015-in-it-mode-causing-panicshangsreboots-vm/

Edited by vhymetoo

thedelph

How are the CPU temps using E3-1230v2 with passive heatsink?

Have you disabled turbo to 3.7GHz?

vhymetoo
On 8/19/2013 at 1:58 PM, vhymetoo said:

[From 2013]:

After almost a decade in this space this project is set to be my last hurrah before i fire sale/give away/toss any remaining computer components, tools, and random electonric knick nacks I am tired of moving. This is replacing a top of the line silent NAS server with 24 bays.

Holy necro, What was old is new again. 6 years later this hardware has been chugging along. 6 years, countless moves, multiple states. Over the years ditched ESXi due to overheard/complexity/free license wasn't great. Went back to baremetal and did Windows with Stablebit DrivePool for a number of years. Went Xpenology (SHR2) for a number of years and its stuck.

Whats next for this build?

• Move components into rack mount unit, specifically looking at Norco RPC-4308
    • Why Norco RPC-4308?
      • I have a rack now, nothing big but its homelab-like
      • Limited depth rack (units need to be >20.5"/550mm)
      • 8 hotswaps on backplane (decision to go M1015 finally will pay off)
      • ATX support when replace with something like Ryzen 3900x
        • Full height slots for potential NVenc card, 10GB, M.2 Card
  • Drive array expanded to 8 bay + 2 SSDs (from 4 bay + 2 SSD)
  • New PSU (650<->850watt) to handle additional 4 drives and future proofing for whatever takes its place
  • Live out the end of its days serving up data from beefier hard drive array (10<->12tb drives, probably 4 disks but maybe 8 depending on black friday sales)

Once/if this hardware dies, this chassis will house some nice Ryzen build (3900x/ATX/10Gbe/M.2s) and will likely become a docker host (maybe RancherOS?) . The drive array will be moved into a Synology chassis, probably something like RS1219+ (for short depth), moving storage into an appliance like configuration (I just need/want storage to just mostly be storage at this stage in life).

IMG_02341.jpg