RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PCI Express x1 and x16 compatability

keeplearnin

I am curious if you can put a x1 card into an x16 slot and have it work as it should. I ask because I need to get another nic into my Microserver and wanted to just pic up another low profile x1 intel nic to put into the unused x16 slot. Thank you for your help!

PCIe slots are supposed to be backwards compatible, so it should work. I have not tried it on the Microserver, but I have had it work on other PC's.

Although a x1 LP NIC will be inexpensive, I would recommend getting a x4 dual port NIC from Intel.

What OS are you running? Compatibility issues?

I am using the Microserver to run VMware esxi so unfortunately I have a shorter list than most o\s from a compatibility perspective. I would love to stick a dual nic in their as it would give me a total of 4 nics rather than 3 but as you know the Intel dual nics that would fit into the Microserver are pricey. One of the VM's I am running is my pFsense router for my network hence the reason I am looking for another nic to use for networking purposes. Thanks for the help I will pick one up and see if it works.

Wow this community is awesome! Thank you schoondog and pcdoc I am picking that nic up now. To answer your question schoondog, I am from the Madison area, how about yourself?

I am using the Microserver to run VMware esxi so unfortunately I have a shorter list than most o\s from a compatibility perspective. I would love to stick a dual nic in their as it would give me a total of 4 nics rather than 3 but as you know the Intel dual nics that would fit into the Microserver are pricey. One of the VM's I am running is my pFsense router for my network hence the reason I am looking for another nic to use for networking purposes. Thanks for the help I will pick one up and see if it works.

I always hear people say this. You realize basically every NIC can be used with ESXi 5.x? You just might have to load the driver, either by inserting into the install file or after installation

I hear ya timekills I have explored that method but have never really gone down that path. However, thank you for the info as I have been getting more and more into esxi and will most likely need to do this at some point in the future.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to circle back around on this just in case anyone was wondering. I was able to to pickup one of the HP D360T Dual NIC Gigabit cards from ebay as suggested by schoondoggy. This card uses the Intel 82571EB controller. I am happy to report this card is working great in the X16 slot as an X1 card in the Microserver. Not bad for $25.