RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disk space variance (Missing 2TB) btw. RAID config and Win 2012 config

kmoguls

I configured 12tb of space based on 3TB x 5 HHD(RAID 5).  It recognize as 12 TB In RAID BIOS but some how only sees 10tb in widows 2012 essentials...

While installing the server, the disk config. of win2012ess is somehow recognized as 2tb + 10tb for configured 12tb of RAID 5 disk.  I tried several times to reset the partition but can't revoke 2tb + 10tb.

Currently, Win2012 is up and running fine but Disk space just recognize as 10tb and missing 2tb but needless to say, RAID BIOS shows it as 12tb.

System:

HP N54L with RocketRAID 2720SGL

RAM: 16GB

SSD:PLEXTOR PX-128M5P (OS running)

RAID 5: DT01ACA300 [3TB SATA600 7200] 5 Disks

If anyone has any thoughts and suggestions, please.

Thanks

Take a picture and post it.  I have seen this before and it was the way you partitioned it.  It looks like you created an MBR partition not a  GPT.  Post a pic of your drive manager.  My guess is you will have to delete the partition and recreate.  Do not put data on this yet.

Post Pics.. thanks for your note.

so, how to delete MBR? Cant do it while win2012 installation

is there way to use 12 tb? please advice

Thank you

Post Pics.. thanks for your note.
so, how to delete MBR? Cant do it while win2012 installation
is there way to use 12 tb? please advice

Thank you

Unfortunately the picture I wanted is being covered up as I just needed the "disk manager".  Your array seems to configured correctly however instead of going to the BIOS, downlaod and install the WebUI from highpoint as it will make you life a bit easier and provide you with more information.  I have a bunch of information on my sight inclueding how to configure your partition.  "Assuming you have no data on the parttition, from the "drive manager" in windows, just right click on the array and delete the volume.  What you should end up with is one large unallocated volume.  Then right click again and create a simple volume and select "GPT".  Make sure it is maximum size, click OK.  When that is done just format and you should be good to go.  I would suggest you review the various videos on my site especially the ones on creating an array as it walk through a complete setup.  Although I could not read the what the pictures said, it appears that you just created the wrong partition type.

http://thedocsworld.net/?s=highpoint%2C+raid&submit=

• Like 1

Thank you for your assist,

I have done exactly the same as clip below from youtube 

The video said formatting 12TB of disk but shows 10.9TB at the end of clip.

My case was exactly the same..I see my RAID 5 disk (5 of 3TB) as 12TB in RAID Config but see it as 11177.63GB in Computer management console and 10.9TB in my computer after formatting it....

Is it ok to say that I have 12TB of space... or I still need to look for an answer..

Thank you for your assist,

I have done exactly the same as clip below from youtube 

The video said formatting 12TB of disk but shows 10.9TB at the end of clip.

My case was exactly the same..I see my RAID 5 disk (5 of 3TB) as 12TB in RAID Config but see it as 11177.63GB in Computer management console and 10.9TB in my computer after formatting it....

Is it ok to say that I have 12TB of space... or I still need to look for an answer..

This is normal after partition and formatting.  If that is what you are getting you should be good to go.