RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Acer Chromebook for $129

Dave

So true.  I have 232Gb on copy.com. I had to try the google thing though right?

If you see this message, it means that we're having trouble detecting an offer available on this device. Please remember:

1. Each device comes with one offer.
  2. Used, open-box, and refurbished devices aren't eligible for the offer.

If you purchased a brand-new device and no one has redeemed the offer yet, please contact our support team.

shollz

I bought this chromebook the day it was launched. I doubled the ram, and Dual booted it with ubuntu.  Let's just say after a week with it, I sold all of my android tablets.  This has become my couch consumption device.  I love the thing, and I bet i haven't booted into the linux side in 6 months.  It never gets slow, has a terminal for ssh, i can vnc into my VM's, I can logmein into other PC's. The only thing it is missing is RDP, an arduino ide, and citrix client. (I'm sure their are others I can't think of right now)

I use it with 3 different google accounts, but I never log out of my original o n the machine.  Google allows you to easily switch between gmail and drive accounts by having multiple accounts signed in at the same time.  

We gave two of these to some older relatives for christmas.  I have not had a single call about them, and they won't be getting any viruses anytime soon.  I have now ordered the 14" HP version for my mom, because she wants a bigger screen.

Hopefully google keeps building on this and allows us to run android apps, and maybe some linux apps as well.

awraynor

Mine arrived today. Easy setup, good tutorial about special commands and quickly claimed the 100GB of drive for two years.

The fan runs a bit, will see if that continues. Otherwise, for $129 I am quite pleased.

Dave

Interesting that you got the 100Gb. My serial number didn't pass the test! Whoever had this book before me must have claimed it?

awraynor

Already showing my 316GB total Drive storage. I have the old 200GB for $50 a year plan.

The current rate for the 100GB plan would be $60/year so I basically got a free ChromeBook!

My 4 year took right to it and my wife thinks maybe we should buy him one for Christmas?

For the money it's a great deal. It has the same so-so construction as her 15.6" Acer Win8

TouchScreen notebook, but hey it's only $129 so I'm okay with that.

Dave

A few more observations.  

My hands get hot on the rests while typing.  It gets warm.  Four hour battery on mine.  Slow to charge as well.  About a 2 hour charge to top it off.   I like the trackpad but the click button is a little firm.  Maybe it will wear in.

Tomorrow night I will test it with G+ and see how it performs on a hangout.  It has HDMI out so I'm going to play with that a little bit.  It could be the "Hangout-A-Saurus" I've been looking for.

If I keep it I think the SSD upgrade would be nice for it.  RAM as well.

JayBee

only 4 hours? I would have guessed Chromebooks would last a bit longer than that. I've always been tempted to buy the acer, put it into developer mode and install a linux distro like centos onto the hard drive. Yum.

awraynor

The Samsung model is a bit more "refined", but the Acer is apparently

more amenable to installation of another OS or dual-boot. Would I pay

$200 or more for it, maybe not. For this price, no problem. 

Too bad they don't come up with a MacMini like device for cheap.

KydDynoMyte

The Acer C7 is really a netbook they made into chromebook by changing the bios instead of designing a chromebook. The fan and spinning hard drive doesn't help the battery. The Samsung with the ARM processor, SSD and no fans really helps the battery life. But the samsung isn't easily upgradeable. If you need more life you could get a 6 cell battery for the Acer Aspire One 756, Acer TravelMate B113, or Acer Aspire V5-171, they supposidly use the same battery as the Acer C7.

Interesting that you got the 100Gb. My serial number didn't pass the test! Whoever had this book before me must have claimed it?

Did you even try talking to a Google Ninja? I haven't heard of anyone not getting their 100gb with a  refurb/used chromebook after contacting a Google :ph34r:.

Wonder if they claimed their in-flight internet passes also?

Too bad they don't come up with a MacMini like device for cheap.

I saw someone from the side at a distance at the food court the other day and thought oh cool they have a samsung chromebook, but when I saw the back of the lid it was some type of mac. Must of been a mini?

csford

Got mine yesterday, popped it open and added another 2gig stick or ram and its running great other than the wifi suddenly dropped out 3 or 4 times while I was using it, that never happens with any of our other devices so not quite sure whats going on there. Also got my 100gb google drive activated with no problem.