RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Acer Chromebook for $129

KydDynoMyte

Let us know how that Essentials 2012 R2 install goes on the vm running in linux running on chromeos.

Crazier things have happened. Just an hour ago I got my Xbox 360 working with my Oculus Rift. I might be in the matrix for a while.

Edited by KydDynoMyte

Drashna Jaelre

Neo's matrix, or Gibsons? :)

awraynor

Another plus:

No posts cluttering up the chromebook forums about which antivirus to use.

:)

Yes, KydDynoMyte, yes.

Dave

I got mine today.  I'm posting with it.  I must say that I'm impressed.  It came in immaculate condition.  I put it on the charger and left it alone for a while.  It took a few minutes for setup and booted right into Chrome.  I immediately started clicking around and went into the store to install LastPass, Evernote, remote desktop, tweetdeck, etc.

Most apps simply load a tab in Chrome.  The RDP app works very good and I have a WHS 2011 tab loaded right now.  I have an Office 365 subscription and need to set it up and test and use it on this thing.  SkyDrive works as usual and I have a word document open for editing as I type.

I hate to say that I'm impressed with this little laptop but I am indeed.  I really don't understand how you could spend $1500 on a Chrombook Pixel though.  This little guy at $129 is a steal.

It wakes from sleep very fast but if I had one concern it would be battery life.  I haven't used it enough to know.  It has HDMI, Ethernet, and a couple of USB ports.  The touchpad is great.  It works better than anything else I've used but admittedly I have not used some of the newer Windows laptops and Ultrabooks.  It works much like the Mac but just a tad smaller.  The settings in Chrome didn't allow me to set a right click option.  I've only been able to do it with a two finger click.  Not a big deal.  

The keyboard seems spacious but the chiclet keys don't have much travel to them.  The control key seems a little far away for CTRL-C and CTRL-V operations but that might just be me coming from the macbook.

I see some screws on the bottom cover so I need to pop it open and see what's upgradeable.  

I don't regret my purchase at all.  Give me some more time with it and I'll report back.  I would be interested in other reviews as well.  The sale seems to be over but you can still get it for $169 if you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251317512262&afsrc=1

Dave

KydDynoMyte

Glad you like it. I don't know who wouldn't like it, especially at that price. The ssd model acer boots up so fat I always shut it down and never put it to sleep. The battery matches some other acer netbook models so you can upgrade to a bigger battery if needed, You should have 2 ram slots in there with only one 2gb stick in it. The ssd really helps if you aren't going to want to store a lot locally on it. Also has a VGA port and kensington lockable. I thought it had bluetooth but I am not seeing it now, maybe that was the samsung chromebook.

Does the chromecast work with it yet or are they still working on that? Best Buy keeps getting chromecats in stock around me but sell out within 30 minutes of opening each time.

Were you able to redeem the free 100GB of google drive storage?

Logitech unifying usb dongle works with it. If it gives you trouble try to pair the devices on a windows machine 1st. 

Edited by KydDynoMyte

awraynor

Mine is set for delivery tomorrow. The shipping address is Edison, NJ which is where I receive

some of my NewEgg shipments from, coincidence? Let you know what I think, but glad you

like it so far.

Dave

I tried the 100 GB of Google Drive and it was looking good but said this device not eligible.  I have yet to test the Chrome Cast.  I'll get that done.

KydDynoMyte

You already have more cloud storage than you can shake a usb stick at but if you'd like to try to get the 2yr 100GB look at the following post:

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=59493942&postcount=481

I haven't ever needed a google ninja, they must live in the shadows, I think you can get in touch with a ninja here:

https://support.google.com/chromeos/troubleshooter/1342028