RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Acer Chromebook for $129

awraynor

I must admit I found the Acer and Samsung models at Best Buy to be interesting. I understand their limitations, but couldn't justify $200-$250 for an impulse purchase. Well today you can get the Acer model, refurbished for $129 through the Acer official E-bay site. Might work pretty well for a gmail, chrome, drive and hangouts machine.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57598670-58/get-a-refurbished-acer-chromebook-for-$129.99-shipped/?tag=nl.e796&s_cid=e796&ttag=e796&ftag=CAD7dba523

Dave

WOW!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251317512262

Seriously, it's $129.

It's a refurb.  Some folks have issues with that.  It's the Acer eBay store and it will put sales tax on your order if applicable to your state but there is free shipping.

Item specifics Condition:

Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or ... Read more

Type: Notebook Processor Speed: 1.1 GHz Brand: Acer Graphics Processing Type: Integrated/On-Board Graphics Model: Chromebook C710-2847 Memory: 2 GB MPN: NU.SH7AA.004 Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB Screen Size: 11.6" Operating System: Chrome OS Processor Type: Intel Celeron, Celeron UPC: 886541817969

I wonder how hackable this thing is?

Pancakes

I wonder if you could put Windows 8 on there...

awraynor

Apparently some people put Ubuntu on it, upgrade to SSD and increase the RAM. I am heavily into Google

products so for an occasional use machine it will probably be better for me than the old netbook I was using.

ikon

Someone save awraynor; he's succumbed to the evil empire ;)

Pancakes

I actually like google stuff

awraynor

@ikon. I secretly use OS X and iOS too.

Pancakes

Can someone ban this guy already?

KydDynoMyte

Typing this on my acer chromebook that comes with an ssd ($199 new). We also have the samsung ARM chromebook, The samsung was on slickdeals yesterday for $140 something "like new" on amazon. I dual boot linux on the acer but didn't bother to put it on the samsung one. I would recommend the ssd version for sure, makes it boot up as fast as the samsung. The acer uses an intel processor but the boot loader is locked so no putting windows on it, unless someone got around that recently. The samsung is a little nicer to use and carry but the acer is probably the better choice for an enthusiast/tinkerer,unless you want to tinker with ARM linux, You probably can still get the 2 years of 100gb of google drive storage even with refurb units if you talk to a google ninja in their forums.