RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Episode 233 The Time Wasting Episode Follow Up

Dave

I'm here to follow up on the madness that was Episode 233.  If you were in pre-show video testing this might make a little more sense.  I am trying to get two Microsoft LifeCam Studio Webcams to play nicely together.  If I put them on my existing USB ports on the computer they flake out and freeze.  I purchased a USB 3.0 PCIE x1 card and put both on it and they work great.

If I put one camera on motherboard USB and one on the USB 3 card the one on the motherboard port still is flakey.  If I put both on the USB 3 card I can only use one at a time on Google Hangouts.  I did this last night.  I used a camera for the hangout and tried to bring the other one up in xsplit and couldn't.  I've seen where you have to have two different USB controllers in order to address both at the same time.  No big deal.

I've removed everything from USB and the camera is still flakey.  

Card I have: http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-RocketU-1022A-SuperSpeed-PCI-Express/dp/B005K8AUXE

Card I'm ordering today: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Card-Adapter-PCIUSB7/dp/B002VY53ZK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376600245&sr=8-2&keywords=usb3+pci+card

It's funny though.  I have a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, 2.4Ghz keyboard/mouse adapter, and a Gemini SC-1 USB Sound Card plugged in and they work fine.

Will update tomorrow!

The Time Wasting Episode on Home Server Show 233

I have but don't have a big budget for it.  I watch ebay and craigs for deals but am thinking of using a capture card for other reasons.  We went over some of that in the podcast but mostly in the preshow.

The price isn't too bad for the basic unit actually. However, it only has HDMI and SDI inputs. I'm not sure how common HDMI cameras are -- I have never seen one.

newer cameras support it but that's the kicker. you really need to budget for the base unit + new cameras. It's cool though once it's all working. One click transition between cameras and computer video outputs so a presenter could do a brief intro of a topic directly in front of camera1, transition to their pc to show an example of whatever it is they're talking about, then transition out to camera2 which is facing a whiteboard allowing the presenter to demonstrate their ideas.

It's probably the best kit per dollar spent for a podcast/youtube channel that wants to do video and do it exceptionally well.

Cool. I'd forgotten about how good video cameras are for things like webcams. I had a look at a few of them on that site. The only thing I couldn't find is whether they have 'live view': ie: does the HDMI output work only for playing back recordings or is it always on, even when not actually recording? I got burned once by not knowing that little tidbit :)

Yeah you need to make sure they support streaming through the HDMI interface as a lot do just use it for hdmi to hdmi playback.