RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage spaces drive removal test

joem

I have a two way mirror with two 3T WD Red drives in storage spaces.  I want to test it in case one of the drives fails.  Can I test this by powering off the server, removing one of the mirrored drives and connecting the drive to another computer via USB and see if I can read the data?  I thought I read something in the past that it would have to connect to a Windows 8 box.  Is that correct?  Thanks.

I would be interested in knowing the answer to the question about reading the drive in another system.

However, that's not really what you do to test a mirror. What you do is shut down, remove one of the drives, power up, let the system detect that the drive is missing and has a "broken mirror", then shut down again. put a blank drive into the system, power up, and see if the system auto-recovers the mirror.

Very good.  But I thought I read, or heard, that you can actually pull one of the mirrored drives and hook it to another box.  But is has to be a Win 8 box and you can read or copy the data from it.  I am curious about that.  But thanks for the information on a best test practice.

Surly yanking the drive out while its on is more of a real world test?

Very good.  But I thought I read, or heard, that you can actually pull one of the mirrored drives and hook it to another box.  But is has to be a Win 8 box and you can read or copy the data from it.  I am curious about that.  But thanks for the information on a best test practice.

This is the case with RAID 1, you may have read that

I am just saying, for example, that if you want to simply just copy the data to another computer directly rather than over the network. Or let's say the server itself fails.  (motherboard, CPU, whatever)  you can just immediately take one of those mirrored storage space drives and obtain your data. 

Surly yanking the drive out while its on is more of a real world test?

Technically, that's true. However, most people don't go to that length. That could be a 2nd level test after confirming that the one I mentioned is successful.

Technically, that's true. However, most people don't go to that length. That could be a 2nd level test after confirming that the one I mentioned is successful.

And actually, drives don't just drop dead as often as they start showing SMART errors and stuff. So its pretty unlikely too 

Very, very few people monitor SMART errors at all. Even I don't monitor them regularly although, I admit, it's likely a higher than normal % of people in these forums do pay attention to SMART. You have to remember, SMART is a seriously, and I do mean SERIOUSLY crippled technology. It was supposed to do SO much more, and be SO much more useful. But, in the inevitable course of these things, companies with vested interests hindered the process (I SO want to say Hindenburged the process) and watered down the specs, until SMART is only a faint shadow of what it was supposed to be.

Very, very few people monitor SMART errors at all. Even I don't monitor them regularly although, I admit, it's likely a higher than normal % of people in these forums do pay attention to SMART. You have to remember, SMART is a seriously, and I do mean SERIOUSLY crippled technology. It was supposed to do SO much more, and be SO much more useful. But, in the inevitable course of these things, companies with vested interests hindered the process (I SO want to say Hindenburged the process) and watered down the specs, until SMART is only a faint show of what it was supposed to be.

Even so, its saved my bacon a good few times