RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Anyone using/used Non-HP RAID Card(s) in Gen8?

Joe_Miner

Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) used or is using a NON-HP RAID Card in the Gen8 MicroServer?  Such as the Highpoint RR2720/2721 for instance.

Thanks,

Joe

schoondoggy

I have a LSI MegaRaid 9240-8i running in the MS G8.

I could not get the ACU for the B120i to load pre-boot with the LSI in the system.

I turned off the B120i and ran a boot drive off the ODD port.

Joe_Miner

I could not get the ACU for the B120i to load pre-boot with the LSI in the system.

Thanks, probably the same result for other vendor's cards.

Greg Welch

would it not let you run the boot drive off the lsi ? so as to have all drives 6gb

schoondoggy

would it not let you run the boot drive off the lsi ? so as to have all drives 6gb

Yes I did try a boot disk on the LSI, but for the comparisons I have been playing with I just wanted four data drives, SATA III, on the add in RAID card.

I had been experimenting with a mirrored pair of boot drives on the B120i and the four bay drives on a P212. Six drives total. 

That works fine and the ACU works for both controllers. No conflicts as far as I could see.

The LSI works fine in the system and does not appear conflict with the B120i as a RAID controller.

When I went to run the ACU at pre-boot it would just hang. I did not try the ACU from within Windows server.

I did not have a lot of time to play with it. If you do not want to run the B120i with the LSI, you should be fine.

Thanks, probably the same result for other vendor's cards.

Probably, but if you do not want to use the B120i with other RAID controllers I think you will be fine.

The LSI works great solo in the MS G8.

fredaroony

Adaptec 3405 with zero problems

luk_s

LSI MR9240-4i works fine. (CentOS 6.4 x86_64, no additional closed source drivers needed to make it work)

Wanted to use the builtin B120i but i was not able to boot from my SSD, attached to SATA port 5.

Also later i tried to disable the B120i controller and ran disks in AHCI mode and later even in Legacy mode (wanted to make a software raid later in my CentOS) but as long as ANY disk is attached to port 1-4 that bloody server does not allow me to boot from a disk on SATA port 5.

Problem seems not to exist with the LSI MR9240-4i controller, all fine, boots from my disks attached to the SATA port 5 without issues.

Edited by luk_s

schoondoggy

LSI MR9240-4i works fine. (CentOS 6.4 x86_64, no additional closed source drivers needed to make it work)

Wanted to use the builtin B120i but i was not able to boot from my SSD, attached to SATA port 5.

Also later i tried to disable the B120i controller and ran disks in AHCI mode and later even in Legacy mode (wanted to make a software raid later in my CentOS) but as long as ANY disk is attached to port 1-4 that bloody server does not allow me to boot from a disk on SATA port 5.

Problem seems not to exist with the LSI MR9240-4i controller, all fine, boots from my disks attached to the SATA port 5 without issues.

With the B120i enabled and the SSD on the 5th SATA port, did the SSD show up in the ACU tool?

luk_s

Hey schoondoggy, that is a good question. Actually, i can't remember 100%.

Because i wanted to have the SSD independent from the controller (in case the controller would break i'd still have the at least the operating system) i did not care too much if it shows up in the controller configuration utility.

However, i remember that during boot, the 4 "big" disks in the front cage were shown as attached to the B120i controller and the SSD (any disk i tried) was shown a bit later.:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

B120i Controller ...

Port 1 WD xxxx Disk ....

Port 2 WD xxxx Disk ....

Port 3 WD xxxx Disk ....

Port 4 WD xxxx Disk ....

Some other information

Port 5 Samsung SSD xxxx ....

I could remove all 4 disks in the cage's and then install the operating system to the Disk on Port5.

But as soon as a disk (no matter in which port, no matter how many disks) was back in the cage, Boot sequence scroll's down, and when it's finished, the only message i get was something like:

"Trying to boot from Disk C:"

And then nothing, the server just hangs. Not even a message that there is no operating system found and then do the "searching boot device" cycle (as it woould do if there is no disk present).

I had to power off the server to be able to interact with the system again.

Also going into the advanced boot menu to pick the disk where i want to boot from does not help, i received the same "Trying to boot from C:" message and the servers hangs.

Please note: This is no longer a problem for me, as there is now another controller in the server, but other might have the same issue and do not have other controller options or try out the method with the microSD card described in this forum.

schoondoggy

Hey schoondoggy, that is a good question. Actually, i can't remember 100%.

Because i wanted to have the SSD independent from the controller (in case the controller would break i'd still have the at least the operating system) i did not care too much if it shows up in the controller configuration utility.

However, i remember that during boot, the 4 "big" disks in the front cage were shown as attached to the B120i controller and the SSD (any disk i tried) was shown a bit later.:

B120i Controller ...

Port 1 WD xxxx Disk ....

Port 2 WD xxxx Disk ....

Port 3 WD xxxx Disk ....

Port 4 WD xxxx Disk ....

Some other information

Port 5 Samsung SSD xxxx ....

I could remove all 4 disks in the cage's and then install the operating system to the Disk on Port5.

But as soon as a disk (no matter in which port, no matter how many disks) was back in the cage, Boot sequence scroll's down, and when it's finished, the only message i get was something like:

"Trying to boot from Disk C:"

And then nothing, the server just hangs. Not even a message that there is no operating system found and then do the "searching boot device" cycle (as it woould do if there is no disk present).

I had to power off the server to be able to interact with the system again.

Also going into the advanced boot menu to pick the disk where i want to boot from does not help, i received the same "Trying to boot from C:" message and the servers hangs.

Please note: This is no longer a problem for me, as there is now another controller in the server, but other might have the same issue and do not have other controller options or try out the method with the microSD card described in this forum.

I think you ran into the issue with a single drive on a HP RAID controller. HP RAID controllers don't have a JBOD mode so you need to create a single drive RAID 0 for the SSD.