RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheap, Low profile 2/4 SATA controller

Pancakes

Just to add 1 more 4TB drive to my HP N40L, cheapest card that is stable and can support a 4TB disk? 

I have been using the HighPoint Rocket 640L PCI-Express 2.0 x4 Low Profile SATA III (6.0Gb/s) RAID Controller Card  in both the N40L and N54L successfully -- mostly as something to drive my OS SSD to give me something closer to SATA III 6Gb/s speeds but I've also used it in my Z77 and X58 -- the X58 worked well with the Rocket 640L untill I turned on Hyper-V in Win8 and the machine BSOD -- You can get good speeds if you use only two of the 4 ports (1 & 3 or 2 & 4) If you use more than two ports or two ports on the same channel (such as 1 & 2 or 3 & 4) then your thruput will drop per device (no problem if all are spinners but becomes an issue if multiple SSD's).

The largest HDD I've had hooked up was 3TB but in the Newegg comments there is mention of success with 4TB HDD's -- YMMV.

Pourquois (why)?

Issues, lots of issues....

Like you need to disable the "Link State Power Management" with a lot of the chipsets, or under heavy IO loads, the controller will crash, requiring a reboot to access your drives. Or that the controller will occasionally crash on it's own. 

(note, the HP MediaSmart Server EX490 series uses Sil 3531, and I experienced the above issue a LOT....)

I've had plenty of issues with them on my own, and working and talking with Alex from CoveCube... He's had a *lot* of issues with them with Scanner...

I don't know about the 3531 chipset, but I've had good luck with the 3132. It doesn't support SATA III, but it has worked well for me in the past. 'Course the 3531 doesn't support SATA III either.