RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The R2 Wave is Coming Oct. 18th

The wave just surfed in via MSDN and Technet.  Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Server and Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation.  All downloadable. Now.

Just a comments on Windows 8.1 - It's RTM but not GA and according to microsoft there might be Changes based on feedback from partners and MVPs. Also Windows 8.1 is not Enterprise, just consumer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• vinylfreak

• Big Worm

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been tweaking mine for over a month to fine tune it for the meetup. I'm with you Dave I hope this upgrade is smooth!!  

No 8.1 for me right now. Just got off the MyMovies support forum and users are reporting that something in 8.1 breaks MyMovies. Brian and the crew over there have yet to figure out  a fix. I know i

I'm not a enthusiast, rather an experienced IT Architect and deploy my servers with MDT, currently running 20+ VMs at home with fully working Exchange, Lync, SharePoint etc. Moving profiles is really

Migration from previous version. Basically build a new server and move everything over to it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633.aspx

Unfortunately I don't have access to multiple servers to migrate from one to another.  In the past, I've installed the WS2012E OS ©, moved all shares to my RAID6 array (F).  Then install clean OS, in this case WS2012ER2, and re-associate the default OS shares to those residing on the RAID.  Of course, you lose all client backup history and must re-add user accounts as well as configure individual user account permissions by share.

Just downloaded the released version and will be taking the plunge over the next week or so.  I plan on documenting the process I go through as I know it will be painful.

No 8.1 for me right now.

Just got off the MyMovies support forum and users are reporting that something in 8.1 breaks MyMovies.

Brian and the crew over there have yet to figure out  a fix.

I know its probably just a small group of users of MyMovies here at HSS , but just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=35083

• Like 1

Just downloaded the released version and will be taking the plunge over the next week or so.  I plan on documenting the process I go through as I know it will be painful.

I only upgrade when I have to, or, more accurate I install a new server if I need the services and de-commision the old one. In-Place upgrades are painful and never works.

I only upgrade when I have to, or, more accurate I install a new server if I need the services and de-commision the old one. In-Place upgrades are painful and never works.

Nothing wrong with that.  Probably a great philosophy but somehow I am too much of an enthusiast and end up trying to stay current especially when there are features I can use such as Hyper V.  This will not really be an upgrade as I will be starting from scratch.  I have a new motherboard, SSD, RAM, and will be installing from scratch as you cannot upgrade to R2 on essentials.  Since I run two servers, taking one down to change it over should not be an issue and all data is on a RAID card, that should port over quickly.  My only concern is the new profile that will be created when I go to a domain controller.  That has a few opportunities for trouble.

Nothing wrong with that.  Probably a great philosophy but somehow I am too much of an enthusiast and end up trying to stay current especially when there are features I can use such as Hyper V.  This will not really be an upgrade as I will be starting from scratch.  I have a new motherboard, SSD, RAM, and will be installing from scratch as you cannot upgrade to R2 on essentials.  Since I run two servers, taking one down to change it over should not be an issue and all data is on a RAID card, that should port over quickly.  My only concern is the new profile that will be created when I go to a domain controller.  That has a few opportunities for trouble.

I'm not a enthusiast, rather an experienced IT Architect and deploy my servers with MDT, currently running 20+ VMs at home with fully working Exchange, Lync, SharePoint etc.

Moving profiles is really easy, if you want a tool go for ForsensiT, have used it over the years mostly for cross-domain migrations. http://www.forensit.com/index.html

• Like 1

I'm not a enthusiast, rather an experienced IT Architect and deploy my servers with MDT, currently running 20+ VMs at home with fully working Exchange, Lync, SharePoint etc.

Moving profiles is really easy, if you want a tool go for ForsensiT, have used it over the years mostly for cross-domain migrations. http://www.forensit.com/index.html

Very cool, will give it a try.  Thanks.

No 8.1 for me right now.

Just got off the MyMovies support forum and users are reporting that something in 8.1 breaks MyMovies.

Brian and the crew over there have yet to figure out  a fix.

I know its probably just a small group of users of MyMovies here at HSS , but just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=35083

Not to surprising.  I found 3 other things that do not work correctly since last night (Evernote, Lastpass, and Norton's).  Fortunately there are some workarounds.  Will be covering some of the issues in next BYOB that we are actually recording tonight as we had a schedule issue last week.

Very cool, will give it a try.  Thanks.

Not to surprising.  I found 3 other things that do not work correctly since last night (Evernote, Lastpass, and Norton's).  Fortunately there are some workarounds.  Will be covering some of the issues in next BYOB that we are actually recording tonight as we had a schedule issue last week.

Doc

Did you find a work around for the MyMovies issue??

Thanks for the link. I take it you believe this tool is better than the MS Transfer Wizard. Have you had any issues with accessing installed programs after joining up to a Domain and using the tool to migrate the account(s)?