RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The R2 Wave is Coming Oct. 18th

upgrade paths are always sketchy for organisations due to various in house programming and one off applications that could potentially break and not survive going through a traditional migration process. I've never been a fan of migrations personally, but I have always been a "nuke from orbit" I.T guy. I much prefer to take the opportunity to blow out the cobwebs and start from scratch. This will suit me well as I currently run 2008r2 at home as well as 2012. I've been wanting to ditch the '08r2 box for awhile so I'll turn that into a 2012r2 box.

There was an upgrade path from 2008>>>2008r2 (you could go from 2003>>>2008r2 as well) but it broke everything and nobody really ever used it.

info here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff972408(v=ws.10).aspx

Edited by JayBee
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• vinylfreak

• Big Worm

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been tweaking mine for over a month to fine tune it for the meetup. I'm with you Dave I hope this upgrade is smooth!!  

No 8.1 for me right now. Just got off the MyMovies support forum and users are reporting that something in 8.1 breaks MyMovies. Brian and the crew over there have yet to figure out  a fix. I know i

I'm not a enthusiast, rather an experienced IT Architect and deploy my servers with MDT, currently running 20+ VMs at home with fully working Exchange, Lync, SharePoint etc. Moving profiles is really

What are some uses of Hyper-V in a home environment? I currently run WS2012E OS with my core tasks on the parent:

Sabnzbd

Utorrent

DVRMSToolbox video conversion

CrashPlan

Drivepop/Livedrive

Client PC backups

It's on a core i5 3770K so the CPU hardly works. In past, when I've tried to use WS2012STD with hyper-V child OSs, the VM virtual NICs are only 100 Mbit vs 1 GB. And the disk I/O slower than the speeds of my WS2012E read/write to my Adaptec 7508 hardware RAID 6.

One use a lot of people have for VMs is testing, especially new software. The keep a 'stock' version of an OS (Win8, Win7, XP, etc.) and use them to install and test. After testing they just blow away the VM and restore the default one from a backup. It's simple and quick.

Besides the testing, I also use VMs to run multiple (4) instances of SpinRite. This allows me to process up to 4 hard drives at a time, which significantly reduces the time it takes to process the drives.

I think it really depends on the situation: if the VM is in production there may be a need to be able to back it up without shutting it down. If it's just for testing and stuff, it's probably easiest to shut it down and copy the vHD.

• 2 weeks later...

The wave just surfed in via MSDN and Technet.  Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Server and Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation.  All downloadable. Now.

The wave just surfed in via MSDN and Technet.  Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Server and Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation.  All downloadable. Now.

Ok ....so refresh my memory....do I want the "N" version or non "N" version and why?

geek-accountant

Downloading them right now also.  Times like this when I love that 100mb download speed!

Also have to love pfSense.  Downloading at 100mb, plus uploading at our max speed of 5mb and the CPU is sitting between 5-9%.